Personal Statements for Grad School Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for PhD programs in math, specifically for Princeton University. The instructions for the personal statement are provided and the individual expresses their concerns about their own statement being brief and lacking detail. They also ask for advice on what kind of information evaluators look for in a personal statement. Suggestions are given to make the statement more personal and differentiate it from other applicants. The conversation ends with wishing the individual good luck with their application.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm finishing up my BSc this year and am applying to PhD programs in math for next fall. All the applications want me to write some sort of personal statement. For example, Princeton gives the following instructions:

Please write a statement of your academic and future career plans as they relate to the Princeton department to which you are applying. In doing so, please cite relevant academic, personal, and professional experiences that motivate you to apply for a graduate degree here. Your statement should not exceed 1,000 words and must be written in English.

To anyone who has written one of these and been accepted, or who is responsible for looking at and evaluating incoming applications, what advice can you give me?

Essentially, I enjoy studying math and plan on getting a PhD in (pure) math, and ultimately doing math as a member of an academic institution. So I'll probably end up being a professor, which I would look forward to. In the unlikely event that things don't go this way [if I don't enjoy studying math/being a professor, if I need/want more money, if I can't finish my PhD, etc.] then, after picking up an extra degree if necessary, I can pursue another career path, perhaps in finance, computers, etc. I essentially want to go to Princeton because it's got a great reputation, and every professor that I talk to and every website that I find ranks Princeton's math department as one of the best in the world.

In writing my essay for Princeton, I would present some cleaned-up version of the above. But what I have is not very elaborate, detailed, impressive, etc. It's certainly nowhere close to 1000 words. On the one hand, nothing explicitly requires me to say anymore, and I appear to have fully answered the questions asked in the instructions. On the other hand, what I have so brief and lack-lustre that it seems like it can't be good.

So what do the evaluators look for? Do I need to say more? If so, what kind of things do I need to say?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, this is supposed to be a personal statement. The things you list could apply to anyone appying to Princeton: 'I want to pursue math, probably remain in academia, maybe industry ... and I want to go to Princeton because it has a great reputation in math.' Honestly, Princeton probably knows all of these things already. Try and separate yourself with this statement, and follow their advice to cite relevant 'academic, personal, and professional experiences.' Maybe talk about a specific class you took and how interesting it was to you and that it's a subject you may be interested in pursuing in graduate school, etc.

Then again, I'm only an undergraduate myself so take from this what you will. Good luck with your application!

What is a personal statement for grad school?

A personal statement for grad school is a written statement that is typically required as part of the application process for graduate school programs. It is a chance for applicants to showcase their personal and academic experiences, skills, and goals in order to demonstrate their fit for the program.

What should be included in a personal statement for grad school?

The content of a personal statement for grad school will vary depending on the program and the specific prompt, but generally it should include information about the applicant's academic background, relevant experiences, career goals, and reasons for applying to the program. It should also showcase the applicant's writing skills and ability to articulate their thoughts and ideas clearly.

How long should a personal statement for grad school be?

Most programs will have a specific word or page limit for personal statements, which can range from 500-1000 words or 1-2 pages. It is important to follow these guidelines and not exceed the limit, as admissions committees often have many applications to review and a concise statement will be more impactful.

What makes a strong personal statement for grad school?

A strong personal statement for grad school will be well-written, focused, and personalized. It should highlight the applicant's unique experiences, skills, and goals that make them well-suited for the program. It should also demonstrate their passion and motivation for pursuing graduate studies in their chosen field.

How can I make my personal statement stand out?

To make your personal statement stand out, be sure to show rather than tell. Use specific examples and anecdotes to illustrate your skills and experiences. Also, be authentic and avoid cliches or generic statements. It can also be helpful to have someone else read and provide feedback on your statement before submitting it.