Two questions on linear transformations.

In summary: In this context, the problem is more or less trivial: the "rank" of f is 3 as a map over R, but it is also a map over C, and therefore the rank is at most 6 (since the image of a complex vector space under a linear transformation is also complex). Since the rank was 3 to begin with, it follows that it is 3 over C as well. In summary, if a transformation f:C^n->C^n is linear over the real numbers and has a rank of 3 on R, then it is also linear over C. Additionally, if the determinant of a function f:C->C is less than 0 and f is linear over R, it can be
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
1) there's given a transformation f:C^n->C^n (C is the complex field), it's known that f is linear on R (real numbers) and its rank on R equals 3 i.e, dim_R Imf=3. now is f linear on C?
2) there's a function f:C->C and its known that f is linear on R, and det_R f<0, is f linear on C?

im kind of stuck on those questions, obviously in the second question, if the determinant is different than zero then the matrix is invertible (i.e has an inverse) and so it has an f^-1, so it's isomorphism on R, but I am not sure if its linear on C.

now about the first question if dim_R Imf=3<n then function isn't onto C^n and thus isn't injective, but i don't know how to deduce from that about its linearity on C.

your help is apprecited.

Physics news on Phys.org
loop quantum gravity said:
1) there's given a transformation f:C^n->C^n (C is the complex field), it's known that f is linear on R (real numbers) and its rank on R equals 3 i.e, dim_R Imf=3. now is f linear on C?
2) there's a function f:C->C and its known that f is linear on R, and det_R f<0, is f linear on C?

im kind of stuck on those questions, obviously in the second question, if the determinant is different than zero then the matrix is invertible (i.e has an inverse) and so it has an f^-1, so it's isomorphism on R, but I am not sure if its linear on C.

now about the first question if dim_R Imf=3<n then function isn't onto C^n and thus isn't injective, but i don't know how to deduce from that about its linearity on C.

your help is apprecited.

I am confused by this. If f is defined on Cn, what do you mean by "f is linear on R"? Do you mean on (x+ 0i,0,0...)? And it has to have rank 3? How can a function defined on a one-dimensional vector space have rank 3?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it means:
for example, that the basis of C^n is (1,0,...,0),...(0,0,...0,1),(i,0,...,0),...(0,...,i)
where on C it would only be the first n vectors.

Hmm. There are several ways to interpret this question.

R^n is an obvious real subspace of C^n, but that is an artificial way of thinking about things - and the canonical counter example is to take the transformation that conjugates in each variable.

No, you really have to think about this as C^n being a 2n dimensional real vector space.

Anyway, buried in there is the hint: as a real vector space, C^m is 2m dimensional, and the image of f is a complex vector space, so it certainly can't be a 3 dimensional real vector space, can it?

loop quantum gravity said:
i think it means:
for example, that the basis of C^n is (1,0,...,0),...(0,0,...0,1),(i,0,...,0),...(0,...,i)
where on C it would only be the first n vectors.
No, a basis for C^n is (1, 0, ...,0)... (0, 0, ..., 1). Since you are multiplying by complex numbers. Do you mean to say a basis for C^n as a vector space over R?

matt, my problem is that the problem did not say "linear on R^n", it said "linear on R". Exactly how are you thinking of a function from C^n to C^n as restricted to R?

I was taking 'linear on R' to mean R-linear (linear *over* R), the normal meaning we'd take for field extensions K over k, which is almost certainly what should have been written.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the basic structure of the original space. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is often used in mathematical modeling and data analysis.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation is typically represented by a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers. The columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors of the original vector space, and the rows represent the coordinates of the transformed vectors in the new space.

3. What properties do linear transformations have?

Linear transformations have several important properties, including linearity, which means that the transformation preserves addition and scalar multiplication; injectivity, which means that different input vectors result in different output vectors; and surjectivity, which means that every vector in the output space has at least one preimage in the input space.

4. How does a linear transformation affect geometric objects?

A linear transformation can be thought of as a change of basis that affects the geometric objects in a vector space. It can result in stretching, compressing, rotating, or reflecting these objects, depending on the specific transformation matrix used.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have a wide range of applications in fields such as computer graphics, image processing, signal processing, and economics. They are also used in machine learning algorithms for data analysis and pattern recognition.