Cubic equation for weak acid hydronium

In summary, the conversation discusses equations for concentrations of a weak diprotic acid, H2A, and the associated equilibrium constants. The formality of H2A, F, allows the mass and charge balance equations to be written. The resulting system of four equations can be solved for each variable, but the last equation is a cubic equation which is not easy to solve. Simplifications can be made to reduce the degree of the equation, or a program or graphing calculator can be used to find the roots for the variable H, which will make finding the other unknowns easier. However, it is not common to work with cubic equations in weak acid equilibrium situations and most people use simplifications or software to solve them.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
If one would make no assumtions to try to simplify, except for just assuming
OH- were negligible in a solution of weak diprotic acid, H2A, we can create four
equations to represent concentrations for :
H2A == H + HA-
HA- == H + A-

Each of those has a K value for equilibrium constant expression. They would be

K1 = [H][HA]/[H2A]
K2 = [H][A]/[HA]

Letting F equal the formality of the H2A then allows the mass balance and charge
balance equations:

F = [H2A] + [HA] + [A]
[H] = [HA] + 2[A] + [OH] but we might usually justly assume hydroxide OH is negligible.

An analytical textbook stated that the system of those four equations can be solved for each of the variables. I then tried doing this to obtain an equation having H as the only variable, and
I obtain this equation:

H^3 + K1H^2 + (K1K2 - FK1)H - 2(FK1K2) = 0
At this point I am not using brackets, but H stands for molarity of hydronium; and the
"2" shown in front of the last term is a factor in order to distinguish it from the subscripts on the K values (since I am unable to more conventionally type-set my work here).

The point is that the last equation is a cubic equation, not easy to solve. Best to be done, I guess
would be use either graphing calculator, or create a computer program to help find the roots for the variable, H.
Is that cubic equation practical or useful? Certainly, once a good solution is found for H, the other unknowns
will be easy. But does anyone actually work with a cubic equation in a weak-acid equilibrium situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Borek.
I am just trying to understand the mathematics and the practicality more thoroughly. The textbook said that the equilibria constant equations and the mass and charge balance equations can be formed, and then the variables can be solved analytically, and then the discussion of the assumptions and associated simplifications were very confusing.

Then, I wanted to see what I would obtain if I try to solve the system analytically for at least the hydronium ion concentration.

You always start with the full set of equations (mass balances, charge balance, Kw and dissociation constants). When solved analytically this leads to quadratic equation (in [H+]) for strong acid (full dissociation), plus one degree for every dissociation step (thus cubic equation for acetic acid and 5th degree polynomial for phosphoric acid).

While I know people able to routinely solve cubic equations, most people knows how to deal with quadratics at best. Thus you have to look for simplifications - or use software.

1. What is the cubic equation for weak acid hydronium?

The cubic equation for weak acid hydronium is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the concentration of hydronium ions, the concentration of the weak acid, and the equilibrium constant of the acid dissociation reaction. It is written as [H3O+]^3 + Ka[H3O+]^2 - Kw[H3O+] - KaKw = 0, where Ka is the acid dissociation constant and Kw is the autoionization constant of water.

2. Why is a cubic equation used for weak acid hydronium?

A cubic equation is used for weak acid hydronium because it allows for a more accurate representation of the equilibrium concentrations of both the weak acid and hydronium ions. This is because the dissociation of a weak acid is a multi-step process, and the cubic equation takes into account the various equilibrium constants for each step.

3. How do you solve a cubic equation for weak acid hydronium?

To solve a cubic equation for weak acid hydronium, you can use the quadratic formula or a numerical method, such as the Newton-Raphson method. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to find the roots of the equation.

4. What is the significance of the equilibrium constant in the cubic equation for weak acid hydronium?

The equilibrium constant, Ka, represents the strength of the weak acid and is a crucial factor in determining the equilibrium concentrations of the acid and hydronium ions. It is a measure of the tendency of the acid to dissociate and is dependent on factors such as temperature and concentration.

5. How does the cubic equation for weak acid hydronium relate to pH?

The cubic equation for weak acid hydronium is used to calculate the equilibrium concentration of hydronium ions, [H3O+], which is directly related to the pH of a solution. The lower the [H3O+] concentration, the higher the pH, and vice versa. Therefore, the cubic equation can be used to determine the pH of a solution containing a weak acid.