Radii of convergence for exponential functions

In summary: That means that the radius of convergence for each is infinity.In summary, the radius of convergence for each of the given functions, represented as power series, is infinity. This is due to the fact that all of these functions are infinitely differentiable, which ensures that the power series will converge as long as there is no reason for it not to.
Bionerd

Homework Statement

I have to find the radius of convergence for each: (A) e^3x (B) xe^(-x)^2 (C) (e^x-1)/x

Homework Equations

So I used the ratio test for each. I'll only write out the answer I got since I'm pretty sure I did them correctly.

(A) abs. value (x) lim n--> infinity 3/(n+1)

(B) abs. value (x^2) lim n--> infinity 1/(n+1)

(C) abs. value (x) lim n--> infinity 1/(n+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question isn't so much about how to do them (I can always go back and redo the ratio test if my answers are wrong) but about what to claim as the radius of convergence. For all of these, it seems to be infinity, and I know e^x has a radius of convergence of infinity. Do all of these really have the same radius of convergence?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't feel like doing the calculations either, but your answers are correct. In fact, I think the series of anything of the form (polynomial)x(exponential) will always converge everywhere (you can try proving it, probably it's easy as it just shifts the powers in the series expansion up or down, so it shifts the coefficients a_n, but that doesn't matter for thhe limit n -> infinity). Actually the only case which needs special attention is then the third one, but you see quickly enough that at the dangerous point (x = 0) nothing special happens (using L'Hopital, the limit x -> 0 exists, etc) and indeed your calculation shows that despite appearances there is no problem there either.

Last edited:
First, look at the way you have posed the question. In general, functions don't have a "radius of convergence"! Power series have a radius of convergence. So you are really asking "what is the radius of convergence of a power series converging to these functions?" But the power series has to be about a specific "central point": (x-a)n for some a. If a power series does not converge for all x (i.e. its radius of convergence is not infinity), then the radius of convergence will depend upon the central point- which you are not given here! In general, a power series will converge "as long as there is no reason not to" which basically means "as long as the function is infinitely differentiable. As CompuChip says, it is obvious, for all except possibly the last, that, since ex is infinitely differentiable, so are these. And, again as CompuChip says, it is clear, by being careful with limits at x= 0, that the last is also infinitely differentiable.

1. What is the definition of a radius of convergence for exponential functions?

A radius of convergence for exponential functions is a value that indicates the range of input values for which the function will converge, or approach a finite value, as the input approaches infinity. It is typically denoted by R and can be calculated using various methods, such as the ratio test or the root test.

2. How is the radius of convergence related to the convergence of an exponential function?

The radius of convergence is directly related to the convergence of an exponential function. If the input value is within the radius of convergence, then the function will converge. If the input value is outside the radius of convergence, then the function will either diverge or oscillate.

3. Can the radius of convergence for exponential functions be negative?

No, the radius of convergence for exponential functions must be a positive value. This is because the input values for an exponential function must be positive to avoid negative outputs, and therefore the radius of convergence must also be positive to encompass all possible input values.

4. How can the radius of convergence for exponential functions be used in real-world applications?

The radius of convergence for exponential functions can be used to determine the range of values for which a mathematical model or representation will be accurate. It is also helpful in analyzing the behavior of exponential functions in various scenarios, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay.

5. Are there any limitations to using the radius of convergence for exponential functions?

While the radius of convergence is a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of exponential functions, it does have limitations. It may not accurately represent the behavior of the function at specific points, and it does not take into account other factors that may affect the convergence of the function, such as local extrema or asymptotes. Additionally, the calculation of the radius of convergence may be difficult for more complex exponential functions.