How do i plot a function of two variables in mathematica?

In summary, to input a function with two variables in Mathematica, use the syntax f[x_,y_]:=expression. To plot a 3D graph of a function with two variables, use the Plot3D function and specify the range for the variables. Labels and titles can be added to the graph using the AxesLabel, PlotLabel, and LegendLabel options. The color and style of the graph can be changed using the ColorFunction and PlotStyle options. A legend can also be added using the PlotLegends option.
lordy12
guic

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try ContourPlot, Plot3D, etc. Mathematica has plenty of built in documentation.

I don't think this is the proper forum for this sort of question.

Code:
Plot3D[x^2 - y^2, {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}, AxesLabel -> {x, y, z}]
works for me.

Look up Plot3D in the help, it gives examples on how to use the function. Sometimes you need to import graphics packages before you can use certain functions in there. I don't think Plot3D needs and packages but implicit functions might. I has been a while since I have used Mma.

1. How do I input a function with two variables in Mathematica?

To input a function with two variables in Mathematica, use the syntax f[x_,y_]:=expression, where "f" is the name of the function, "x" and "y" are the variables, and "expression" is the mathematical expression involving x and y. For example, f[x_,y_]:=x^2+y^2 would define a function of two variables that computes the sum of their squares.

2. How do I plot a 3D graph of a function with two variables in Mathematica?

To plot a 3D graph of a function with two variables in Mathematica, use the Plot3D function. For example, Plot3D[x^2+y^2,{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2}] would plot the function f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 over the range -2 to 2 for both x and y. This will create a 3D graph with x and y as the axes and the values of the function as the z-axis.

3. Can I add labels and titles to my 3D graph in Mathematica?

Yes, you can add labels and titles to your 3D graph in Mathematica. Use the AxesLabel option to add labels to the x, y, and z axes, and use the PlotLabel option to add a title to your graph. For example, Plot3D[x^2+y^2,{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2},AxesLabel->{x,y,z},PlotLabel->"Graph of f(x,y)=x^2+y^2"] would add labels to the axes and a title to the graph.

4. How do I change the color or style of my 3D graph in Mathematica?

To change the color or style of your 3D graph in Mathematica, use the ColorFunction and PlotStyle options. The ColorFunction option allows you to specify a color scheme for your graph, while the PlotStyle option allows you to change the style of the graph lines or surface. For example, Plot3D[x^2+y^2,{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2},ColorFunction->"Rainbow",PlotStyle->Thick] would plot the function in a rainbow color scheme and with thicker lines.

5. Can I add a legend to my 3D graph in Mathematica?

Yes, you can add a legend to your 3D graph in Mathematica. Use the PlotLegends option to specify the labels for the legend. For example, Plot3D[x^2+y^2,{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2},PlotLegends->"f(x,y)"] would add a legend with the label "f(x,y)" to the graph. You can also use the LegendLabel option to add a title to the legend.