Will Increasing the Voltage Affect the Functionality of My Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses modifying a circuit by replacing the drive motor with a stronger one that requires a 12V lead acid battery. The circuit is a PCB receiver with two motors, one for steering and one for driving. The previous drive motor needed 2 x 1.5v batteries and the new one will increase the voltage running through the circuit by 9 volts. The participants mention a block diagram and annotated schematic, and express concern about whether the components can handle the increase in voltage. They also mention that the steering and drive motor annotations on the schematic are reversed and that using a 12V battery will burn the circuit. It is suggested that major changes will be required to make the circuit work with the new motor. The
michael7777
I want to modify a circuit by adding a stronger drive motor.

The circuit is a PCB receiver which is attached to two motors, one which steers a car, one which drives a car.

The previous drive motor needed 2 x 1.5v batteries.
The new drive motor needs a 12V lead acid battery.
This means that 9 more volts will run through the circuit

Here is a block diagram:
explanation diagram.jpg

Here is the annotated schematic:
schematic.jpg

I have more information about resistances if there is a need for it.

I am unsure of if the components will still work with such an increase in voltage. So it would be good if someone could advise.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The first problem is that your annotation of steering and drive motor on the schematic is reversed.
The other is that substituting a 12v battery will burn this circuit up.
Some of the components could be reused but major changes are required.

I knew the 12v battery would kill the circuit. Since I am no good at making circuits ill just stick to using the slow 3v motor.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage periodically changes direction and is used in most household outlets. DC (direct current) voltage flows in one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

2. How is voltage related to current?

Voltage is the driving force that pushes current through a circuit. The higher the voltage, the more current will flow through a circuit.

3. What is the role of resistors in a circuit?

Resistors limit the flow of current in a circuit and are used to control the amount of voltage that reaches different components. They are commonly used to protect sensitive electronic components from receiving too much voltage.

4. Can voltage be changed in a circuit?

Yes, voltage can be changed in a circuit by using a transformer or voltage regulator. These devices can increase or decrease the voltage depending on the needs of the circuit.

5. What happens if the voltage in a circuit is too high?

If the voltage in a circuit is too high, it can damage or even destroy electronic components. It can also cause overheating and electrical hazards. It is important to use the correct voltage for each component in a circuit to prevent damage.