Convergence in L^2 but not pointwise almost everywhere: An example

• Thread starter math8
  • Start date
In summary, examples of a closed and bounded but not compact subset in a complete metric space include the metric space ([0,1], d*) where d* is the discrete metric. This space is closed and bounded, but not totally bounded, thus not compact. A sequence of functions can converge in L^2([0,1]) but not pointwise almost everywhere. An example of this is the sequence of characteristic functions of [0,1/n], [1/n,2/n], [2/n,3/n], and so on. This sequence converges to 0 in L^2([0,1]) but does not converge pointwise almost everywhere.
math8
What would be an example (or c/ex)of a closed and bounded but not compact subset C of a complete metric space and why?

What would be an example of a sequence of functions which converges in L^2([0,1]), but which does not converge pointwise almost everywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Can you find an example complete metric space that contains a bounded but not totally bounded closed set? Why will this help?

2. Think about this: how does convergence in the L^2 norm work?

*I can only think about the metric space ([0,1],d*) where d* is the discrete metric. [0,1] is bounded but not totally bounded.
I know [0,1] is closed but I'm not sure if ([0,1],d*) is complete. (I know a space is complete if every Cauchy sequence in there converges).
I guess since a metric space is compact iff it is complete and totally bounded., we get that [0,1] is closed and bounded, but since it is not totally bounded, it cannot be compact.

*I think (fn) converges to f in L^2([0,1]) if lim as n tends to infinity of integral of |fn-f|^2 dm is 0.
My problem is that I cannot think of a not really complicated example.

math8 said:
*I can only think about the metric space ([0,1],d*) where d* is the discrete metric. [0,1] is bounded but not totally bounded.
I know [0,1] is closed but I'm not sure if ([0,1],d*) is complete. (I know a space is complete if every Cauchy sequence in there converges).
I guess since a metric space is compact iff it is complete and totally bounded., we get that [0,1] is closed and bounded, but since it is not totally bounded, it cannot be compact.
Yup.

*I think (fn) converges to f in L^2([0,1]) if lim as n tends to infinity of integral of |fn-f|^2 dm is 0.
My problem is that I cannot think of a not really complicated example.
We can come up with a simple example where f_n -> 0 in L^2[0,1] but f_n doesn't converge pointwise anywhere. Here's how: let f_1 = characteristic function of [0,1/2], f_2 = characteristic function of [1/2,1], f_3 = characteristic function of [0,1/3], f_4 = characteristic function of [1/3,2/3], f_5 = characteristic function of [2/3,1], and so on. I'll let you check that this does the job.

Last edited:
Thanks morphism it really helps.

What is an example and counterexample?

An example is a specific instance or case that illustrates a concept or idea. A counterexample is an example that proves a statement or hypothesis to be false.

Why are examples and counterexamples important in science?

Examples and counterexamples play a crucial role in science as they help to validate or disprove theories and hypotheses. They provide evidence to support or refute scientific claims, and can lead to the development of new theories or modifications of existing ones.

What is the difference between a strong and weak counterexample?

A strong counterexample is one that disproves a statement or hypothesis in all cases, while a weak counterexample only disproves it in some instances. In science, strong counterexamples hold more weight in challenging and modifying theories.

How can examples and counterexamples be used in scientific experiments?

Examples and counterexamples can be used in scientific experiments to test hypotheses and theories. Scientists can design experiments to provide examples that support their hypotheses, and also look for counterexamples that may disprove them.

What should be considered when evaluating examples and counterexamples?

When evaluating examples and counterexamples, it is important to consider the source and reliability of the evidence. It is also essential to consider the context and potential biases that may influence the interpretation of the examples and counterexamples.