When do you are finished with a book that you are learning

• Thread starter samspotting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, lectures may not cover everything and self-learning may result in skimming through theorems without true understanding. When faced with proving theorems later on, it may be necessary to review the material or move on to another source. Understanding comes from knowledge and experience, and while proving theorems may not be necessary for understanding, it often follows once the material is truly comprehended.
samspotting
Lectures don't teach everything, and learning on your own you skim through a lot of theorems. Sure you understand them, but if you were showed them a few days later and you needed to prove them, then you might not be able to do so.

Do you try and remedy with another pass through the book, or just go on to another one.

Physics news on Phys.org
samspotting said:
Lectures don't teach everything, and learning on your own you skim through a lot of theorems. Sure you understand them
No you don't. You simply know of them. Understanding requires knowledge and experience.

The ability to prove theorems is not needed for understanding -- but it is usually a consequence of understanding, since a great many theorems are straightforward applications of the basic ideas at hand. (But it won't seem straightforward until you understand the material!)

I understand the importance of thorough understanding and retention of information. While lectures and self-learning can provide a strong foundation, it is important to continuously review and reinforce concepts in order to truly solidify one's understanding.

If you find yourself unable to recall and apply theorems from a book that you have finished, I would recommend going back and reviewing those sections. This could involve re-reading the material, practicing problems related to those theorems, or seeking additional resources for clarification. It is important to make sure you have a strong grasp on the material before moving on to another book or topic.

In the field of science, it is crucial to have a strong understanding of fundamental principles and concepts in order to build upon them and make new discoveries. Going back and reviewing material may take some extra time and effort, but it will ultimately benefit your learning and understanding in the long run.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that learning is an ongoing process. Just because you have finished a book does not mean you have mastered all of its content. It is always beneficial to revisit material and continue learning and expanding your knowledge.

In summary, as a scientist, I would recommend going back and reviewing material if you find yourself struggling to recall theorems from a book you have finished. It is important to continuously reinforce and build upon your understanding in order to truly excel in your learning and research.

1. When do you know that you have finished learning from a book?

As a scientist, I believe that learning is a continuous process and one can never truly say that they have finished learning from a book. However, a good indicator that you have learned enough from a book is when you are able to confidently explain and apply the concepts and information presented in the book.

2. How do you determine when you have finished learning from a book?

I determine when I have finished learning from a book by setting specific goals and objectives before starting to read. Once I have achieved these goals and can effectively use the information from the book, I consider myself to have finished learning from it.

3. Is there a specific timeline for when you should finish learning from a book?

As a scientist, I believe that the timeline for learning from a book varies for each individual. Some may learn faster while others may need more time to fully absorb the information. It is important to focus on the quality of learning rather than the timeline.

4. Can you revisit a book after you have finished learning from it?

Absolutely! Revisiting a book after some time has passed can be a great way to refresh your memory and gain new insights. It is also common for scientists to refer back to books as a source of reference when working on new research or experiments.

5. Is it necessary to finish a book before moving on to the next one?

Not necessarily. As a scientist, I often have multiple books that I am simultaneously learning from. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively, but it is not necessary to completely finish one book before starting another.