Help, AS level physics for a complete beginner

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about physics, particularly about waves and using an oscilloscope. The first question asks about calculating frequency using time base and length, while the second question asks about determining Vmax in volts using wavelength and amplitude. The third question is about the time base, and the fourth question is about determining the number of cycles using a graph. The conversation also mentions the use of an oscilloscope and its grid measurements for time and voltage.
I'mstuck...x
hello everyone, i'd be really appreciative of some help. I'm doing as physics and have never done proper physics before therefore I'm finding it quite hard. we are doing about waves at the moment and was wondering about a couple of things:-
1st - how to calculate frequency using the time base and a length? eg:- time base 2ms/cm length 5.4 cm, what's the frequency?
2nd - if y cm is the wavelength and Y-amplitude is a x amplitude how do i work out Vmax in volts? eg:- ycm = 5.6, Y-amplidude volt/cm = 5, what is Vmax volts?
3rd - what is the time base?
4th - how to work out the number of cycles using a graph?
Thankyou guys xxx

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an osciloscope right?
The grid drawn on the screen are (usually) 1cm intervals

The timebase is how fast (ie how many cm/s) the beam sweeps across sideways.
So if two points are 1cm apart on the screen and the time base is 1ms/cm then the points are 1ms apart in time.

Similarly the vertical scale is in volts/cm so if a curve is 1cm high and the scale is set to 1cm/volt the signal is 1volt (note - in a real practical lab the probes you use have another factor of 10 included making it really 10v/cm)

What is AS level physics?

AS level physics is the first level of advanced study of physics typically taken by students in their last year of secondary education. It covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity, waves, and particles.

Do I need any prior knowledge to study AS level physics?

No, AS level physics is designed to be accessible to students with no prior knowledge of the subject. However, a strong foundation in mathematics is recommended as it is an essential tool for understanding physics.

What topics are covered in AS level physics?

The topics covered in AS level physics include mechanics, electricity, waves, and particles. Some specific concepts that may be covered include velocity, acceleration, electric circuits, electromagnetic waves, and quantum mechanics.

How can I improve my understanding of AS level physics?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of AS level physics. Make use of textbooks, online resources, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding of concepts. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

What career options are available for someone with knowledge of AS level physics?

Studying AS level physics can open up many career opportunities in fields such as engineering, medicine, research, and technology. It can also provide a strong foundation for further study in physics or related subjects at the university level.