Differentiating the identity to develop another identity

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating the identity sin2x = 2sinxcosx to find the identity for cos2x in terms of sin x and cos x. The correct double-angle formula is found by differentiating both sides of the equation and applying the product rule. This leads to the well-known identity of cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x).
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Differentiate the identity sin2x = 2sinxcosx to develop the identity for cos2x, in terms on sin x and cos x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure where to start with this one. Should I find the derivative of both sides of the equation, and then where do I go from there? The right side of that equation is 2cos^2x + sin^2x but I am not sure how I can use that.

Your help is appreciated as always!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you differentiated the right-hand side incorrectly:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}(2\sin(x)\cos(x)) = 2(\cos^{2}(x) + (-\sin^{2}(x)))[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow 2\cos(2x) = 2(\cos^{2}(x) - \sin^{2}(x))[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow \cos(2x) = \cos^{2}(x) - \sin^{2}(x)[/itex]which is a well-known double-angle formula.

Actually, once you find the dertivative of both sides, you will get the identity instantly(barring some cancellations).

Find the derivative of the left and right side (what u have written is not correct), using product rule, and see what cancels, on both sides

Thank you very much. I mistakenly used part of the quotient rule instead of the product rule, meaning I subtracted instead add added which caused me to get the + sin ^2x

Cheers guys!

1. What is meant by "differentiating the identity to develop another identity"?

"Differentiating the identity to develop another identity" refers to the process of exploring and understanding one's unique characteristics, values, and beliefs in order to develop a more authentic and individual sense of self.

2. Why is differentiating the identity important?

Differentiating the identity is important because it allows individuals to establish a strong sense of self and to better understand their own values, beliefs, and goals. This can lead to increased self-confidence, self-awareness, and a clearer understanding of one's purpose in life.

3. How can one differentiate their identity?

There are many ways to differentiate one's identity, including self-reflection, seeking feedback from others, exploring new experiences and interests, and challenging societal norms and expectations. Therapy or counseling can also be helpful in the process of identity differentiation.

4. What are the benefits of differentiating the identity to develop another identity?

Some potential benefits of differentiating the identity include increased self-awareness, improved relationships, a stronger sense of purpose and direction in life, and the ability to live more authentically.

5. Is it possible to differentiate the identity multiple times throughout life?

Yes, it is possible to differentiate the identity multiple times throughout life as individuals continue to grow and evolve. As we experience new things and encounter new challenges, our identities may shift and change, requiring us to continually explore and differentiate who we are.