Why is the volume element a scalar density of weight -1?

In summary, there seems to be a discrepancy in how the volume element is defined in Ray d'Inverno's book on general relativity. While other sources state it should transform with the Jacobian, d'Inverno defines it as a scalar density of weight -1. This may be due to a difference in notation or terminology, but it is unclear where his definition has come from. His argument involves the generalised kronecker delta symbol and the levi-cevita tensor, but it is still unclear why he has chosen this definition. Further clarification is needed to understand this discrepancy.
madness
In Ray d'Inverno's book on general relativity, he defines the volume element in a way which makes it a scalar density of weight -1, meaning it transforms with the inverse of the Jacobian. Every other source I have looked at seems to say it should transform with the Jacobian, making it a scalar density of weight +1. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read d'Inverno's book but the conventional way of defining the weight is to say that the weight of any tensorial quantity is the power of [itex]g^{1/2}[/itex] that appears in that quantity. Since the volume element is just [itex]g^{1/2}[/itex], it's a weight 1 quantity.

The definition of tensor weights as transforming with the square root of the metric should be equivalent to the definition of transforming with the Jacobian, since the metric transforms with the square of the Jacobian. In d'Inverno's book it is defined in terms of the Jacobian.
His definition of a volume element doesn't appear to include the metric, and is actually stated to be a scalar density of weight -1 and not +1 as you have stated. This is my problem, I don't understand where his definition has come from.
He uses this fact to demand that the Lagrangian is a scalar of weight +1, and include the square root of the determinant here.
Can anyone explain this discrepancy with volume definitions?

Can nobody help with this?

madness said:
Can nobody help with this?

You may need to transcribe the relevant passages here.
It may simply be a confusion in notation or terminology.
(Unfortunately, there are no book previews from Google or Amazon.)

I'm not sure how to transcribe the mathematics but I can try to explain his argument. He first defines a volume element for an m dimensional subspace of a manifold in a way that makes it an mth rank contravariant tensor tensor. It involves the generalised kronecker delta symbol. He later contracts this with the levi-cevita tensor (which gives the weight of -1). I'm not sure if this is any help at all. My problem is that I don't know why he has chosen any of his definitions (why it is really a volume), and why it differs from other sources.

1. What is the volume element and why is it important in scientific calculations?

The volume element is a mathematical concept used to measure the volume of a three-dimensional object. It is important in scientific calculations because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the sizes of objects, as well as calculate important physical quantities such as density and pressure.

2. How is the volume element related to the concept of density?

The volume element is a scalar density of weight -1 because it represents the reciprocal of the density of a substance. In other words, it is a measure of the amount of volume occupied by a unit mass of a substance. This relationship is important in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. Why is the volume element a scalar quantity and not a vector?

The volume element is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude and no direction. Unlike vectors, which have both magnitude and direction, scalar quantities are only concerned with the size or amount of a physical quantity. Therefore, the volume element, which is simply a measure of volume, is considered a scalar quantity.

4. How is the volume element used in calculus and other mathematical applications?

In calculus, the volume element is used to represent the infinitesimal volume of a three-dimensional object. This allows for the integration of functions over three-dimensional regions, which is essential in many mathematical applications. The volume element is also used in other mathematical fields, such as differential geometry and topology, to study the properties of three-dimensional spaces.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the volume element and its scalar density?

Yes, the volume element and its scalar density have many real-world applications. For example, in fluid mechanics, the volume element is used to calculate the velocity and pressure fields of a fluid. In thermodynamics, the volume element is used to determine the internal energy and heat transfer of a system. Additionally, the volume element is used in medical imaging to measure and analyze the size and shape of organs and tissues in the human body.