Proton moving through a magnetic field

In summary, the proton moved across a magnetic field with a magnitude of 6.48x10-2T in 1.528x10-7 seconds.
dprimedx

Homework Statement

A proton moves perpendicularly to a magnetic field that has a magnitude of 6.48x10-2T. A magnetic force of 7.16x10-14N is acting on it. If the proton moves a total distance of 0.500m in the magnetic field, how long does it take for the proton to move across the magnetic field? If the magnetic force is directed north and the magnetic field is directed upward, what was the proton's velocity?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F= BIL
(Those are what the teacher gave us. He said that's all we need.)
(I added:)
V2 = 2a*change in x (sorry, not sure how to make a delta)

The Attempt at a Solution

After chugging through those equations, I got a time of 1.528x10-7. I'm not sure how to figure how the second part - the directions - but I think it has something to do with the right hand rule. Am I right? (For both the time and directions?)

Thanks for taking the time to at least read this over. Please pardon the lack of LaTeX, I'm not too familiar with it. If you can help at all, even point me in the right direction, I'll appreciate it greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want to consider the Lorentz force on the proton.

F = q*v X B

You know everything but the v which you can solve for. Then from there

t = x / v

Could you show us the work you did to get the time?

Edit: Nevermind, I was too slow at asking, LowlyPion showed the correct work for solving the time :)

LowlyPion said:
I think you want to consider the Lorentz force on the proton.

F = q*v X B

You know everything but the v which you can solve for. Then from there

t = x / v

We've never done that in class - this is just a scholar's high school non-calculus physics class. I have no idea what the Lorentz force is. Could you explain some?

The Lorentz expression in vector notation is expressed as the cross product.

F = q*v X B

This is where you need your right hand rule.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I figured it out with F=Bqv. Much more simple than I thought it would be. Again, thanks.

1. How does a proton move through a magnetic field?

A proton moves through a magnetic field due to the interaction between its positive charge and the magnetic field. The magnetic field exerts a force on the moving proton, causing it to experience a change in direction.

2. What is the direction of the force on a proton moving through a magnetic field?

The force on a proton moving through a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the proton's motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule.

3. How does the speed of a proton affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The speed of a proton does not affect its motion in a magnetic field, as long as the proton is moving at a constant speed. The force on the proton is dependent on its charge and the strength of the magnetic field, not its speed.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the motion of a proton?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force on a proton. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force on the proton, causing it to experience a larger change in direction.

5. Can a proton's motion in a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, a proton's motion in a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This is the principle behind devices such as MRI machines, which use magnetic fields to manipulate the motion of protons in the body to create images.