Finding Area of Region Enclosed by y = \sqrt[3]{x}, Tangent Line, and y-Axis

• Thread starter Emethyst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, to find the area of the region enclosed by y = \sqrt[3]{x}, the tangent line to this curve at x = 8, and the y-axis, you need to find the equation for the tangent line and draw it on the same axes as the curve y = \sqrt[3]{x}. The region to be calculated will be obvious from there.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by y = [tex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/tex], the tangent line to this curve at x = 8, and the y-axis.

Homework Equations

Definate integral properties, fundamental theorem of calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

I know and understand what the question is asking for--find the area of the region--i'm just having problems actually finding the region I need to calculate. I can't seem to figure out what they want through the tangent line; do I need to simply take the derivative of [tex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/tex] and use it, plug in x=8 into the derivative and then use it, or do something completely different? Any help you can guys can give to point me in the right direction here would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be easier if you think of the function as x= y3. Then dx/dy= 3y2 so dy/dx= 1/(3y). Now what is y when x= 8?

Find the equation for the tangent line, then draw both the tangent line and y on the same axes. It will be obvious from there which region you want to calculate.

It will look like this:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/32/region.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for finding the area of an enclosed region?

The formula for finding the area of an enclosed region is A = l x w, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

2. How do you calculate the area of a complex shape with multiple enclosed regions?

To calculate the area of a complex shape with multiple enclosed regions, you can break it down into smaller, simpler shapes and then add the areas together. Alternatively, you can use the formula for finding the area of a irregular shape, which involves dividing the shape into smaller triangles and then calculating their areas and adding them together.

3. What units are typically used to measure area?

The most commonly used units to measure area are square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters. However, other units such as acres, hectares, or square miles may also be used depending on the size of the region being measured.

4. Can you find the area of an enclosed region without knowing its dimensions?

No, in order to find the area of an enclosed region, you need to know at least one of its dimensions (length or width). If the shape is irregular, you may also need to know the measurements of its various sides or angles in order to calculate the area.

5. Why is it important to know the area of an enclosed region?

Knowing the area of an enclosed region can be useful in a variety of fields, such as architecture, engineering, and agriculture. It can help with planning and designing structures, determining the amount of materials needed for a project, and calculating land or crop yields.