Thermal Imaging and Object Detection at Sea

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of thermal imaging in conjunction with active/passive sonar to detect objects underwater. However, it is noted that water is opaque to infrared, making it difficult to "image" underwater in the infrared spectrum. There is also a question about what objects underwater would radiate enough heat to be detected. The conclusion is that the combination of these two sensors may not be feasible due to the limitations of infrared in water.
fizzziks
So my mind tends to wander, but I was thinking... since active/passive sonar is used to detect objects underwater, couldn't thermal imaging be used as well (in conjunction)? Isn't there any reason why we couldn't combine the two sensors into cooperatively working together to detect submarines, enemy swimmers, underwater mines, etc assuming the radiating heat is sufficient enough and to the required intensity of the thermal imager?

Does this make sense at all? I was hoping to spur some discussion on the topic.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is there under water that radiates heat? Most of the animals are cold blooded and those that aren't are heavily insulated due to the water's ability to remove heat quickly.

I don't know for sure, but my guess why it hasn't been done is because water is opaque to infrared, meaning you can't "image" underwater in the infrared spectrum.

Edit:

My suspicions are correct. The following picture shows that water absorbs infrared much more readily than visible. This means if you can't see it with visible light, you certinly won't see it in infrared.

[PLAIN]http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/images/watopt.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does thermal imaging work for object detection at sea?

Thermal imaging technology uses infrared radiation to detect temperature differences between objects. These temperature differences can be translated into an image, allowing for the detection of objects at sea that emit heat, such as boats or marine animals.

2. What are the benefits of using thermal imaging for object detection at sea?

Thermal imaging can provide 24/7 surveillance without the need for visible light, making it ideal for use at sea where lighting conditions can vary. It can also detect objects that are not visible to the naked eye, such as those hidden by fog or darkness.

3. Are there any limitations to thermal imaging for object detection at sea?

Thermal imaging may not be able to detect objects that are at the same temperature as their surroundings, making them blend in. It is also limited by its range and may not be able to detect small objects or those at a far distance.

4. How accurate is thermal imaging for object detection at sea?

The accuracy of thermal imaging for object detection at sea depends on various factors such as the quality of the equipment and environmental conditions. However, it is generally considered to be a reliable and effective method for detecting objects at sea.

5. What are some common uses of thermal imaging for object detection at sea?

Thermal imaging is commonly used for maritime security and surveillance, search and rescue operations, and marine wildlife monitoring. It is also used for navigation purposes, as it can detect objects that may pose a risk to ships, such as icebergs or debris.