2nd ODE, Reduction of Order, Basis known

In summary, the approach for solving a 2nd order ODE with y_1=x is to let y_2=ux and substitute it into the equation. Then, let u'=v and integrate v and u' to solve for u. Whether or not to include integration constants depends on the desired solution. Including them will result in a general solution, while not including them will give two independent solutions that can be used to find the general solution. Both approaches are valid.
Darkmisc
I have a homework problem where I am to find y_2 for a 2nd ODE, with y_1=x.

I'm familiar with the process of:

let y_2 = ux

y_2- = u'x u

y_2'' = 2u' + u''x

substituting these terms into the 2ODE, then letting u' = v.

When integrating v and u' to solve for u, do I need to include integration constants at both steps?

I have a textbook that suggests that integration constants can be made redundant by choosing the 1 and 0 as their values.

However, I have lecture notes which seem to include integration constants in the final solution.

What's the correct approach?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends upon what you want. If you include the constants of integration you will get something like: u(x)= Cf(x)+ D with C and D constants. Then, from y= ux, your solution is y(x)= (Cf(x)+ D)x= Cf(x)x+ Dx, the general solution to the original equation.

If the equation is linear and you do not include the constants of integration, you will get only u(x)= f(x) so that y(x)= f(x)x. But then you can say "I now have two independent solutions, f(x)x and x, to this linear equation so the general solution is Cf(x)x+ Dx" for any constants C and D. That gives exactly the same solution.

Thanks.

1. What is a 2nd order ordinary differential equation?

A 2nd order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that involves the derivative of an unknown function with respect to an independent variable, along with the function itself and its second derivative. It is commonly written in the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where p, q, and g are known functions of x.

2. What is reduction of order in a 2nd order ODE?

Reduction of order is a technique used to solve a 2nd order ODE when one solution is already known. It involves substituting the known solution into the original equation to reduce it to a first order ODE, which can then be solved using standard methods.

3. What is the basis known method for solving a 2nd order ODE?

The basis known method is a technique used to solve a 2nd order ODE when the basis functions (i.e. the solutions to the homogeneous equation) are known. It involves finding a particular solution by multiplying the basis functions by unknown coefficients and then using the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for these coefficients.

4. How is a 2nd order ODE solved using the basis known method?

To solve a 2nd order ODE using the basis known method, first find the basis functions (using techniques such as separation of variables or variation of parameters). Then, set up a general solution by multiplying the basis functions by unknown coefficients. Finally, use the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for these coefficients and obtain a particular solution.

5. Can the basis known method be used for all types of 2nd order ODEs?

No, the basis known method can only be used for linear 2nd order ODEs with constant coefficients. It cannot be applied to non-linear equations or equations with variable coefficients, as the basis functions are not well-defined in these cases.