Do Ghosts Exist? My Friend Says Yes!

• Thread starter nucleargirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ghosts
In summary, ghosts exist. They are real and can be seen by some people. However, most of the evidence for ghosts is anecdotal and not backed up by any scientific evidence.
nismaratwork said:
Indeed, and when you make an extraordinary claim Randi's standard isn't really that strict. A physicist goes through more to prove a concept!

As I said above, when it comes to ghosts, people just accept shoddy testing and evidence. The need / want to believe seems to trump rational thought.

If I owned a building (a hotel for example) where people kept claiming to see a 'figure' (particularly if it's somewhere specific), the first thing I'd do is whip a camera up. Nothing too serious, but if someone makes that claim again at least you could verify it. Not full proof I know, but if anything did show up then I'd take it further and do some controlled tests.

But for some reason people just don't take this approach, they'd rather spread the stories and let people report back to them 'spooky' occurrences and accept that as definitive evidence. I wonder if it's because there'd be a rather sharp down-turn in claims? Then again I'm sure the die hard believers would be quick to put it down to ghosts not showing up on cameras or some BS like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
jarednjames said:
As I said above, when it comes to ghosts, people just accept shoddy testing and evidence. The need / want to believe seems to trump rational thought.

If I owned a building (a hotel for example) where people kept claiming to see a 'figure' (particularly if it's somewhere specific), the first thing I'd do is whip a camera up. Nothing too serious, but if someone makes that claim again at least you could verify it. Not full proof I know, but if anything did show up then I'd take it further and do some controlled tests.

But for some reason people just don't take this approach, they'd rather spread the stories and let people report back to them 'spooky' occurrences and accept that as definitive evidence. I wonder if it's because there'd be a rather sharp down-turn in claims? Then again I'm sure the die hard believers would be quick to put it down to ghosts not showing up on cameras or some BS like that.

It may sound trite, but as the X-Files poster says... "I want to believe". People want this, so they watch television shows which confirm their bias, and take actions which do the same.

FlexGunship said:
Surely, however, those who are interested in having the discussion must be willing to settle on a definition. The one's who quarrel over the definition are the one's least inclined to partake in the discussion.

Perhaps I'm giving the "other side" too much credit?

That's the point though - settling on the definition. A few posts up you defined 'ghost' as 'soul' which leads to a necessity to define that.

Often, I feel that if two reasonable people were to agree precisely on a definition, be it for ghosts, god, or apples, there would be no further need for discussion as the very act of pealing back the layers and eventualy aggreeing precisely on such a definition, would have resolved the issue.

alt said:
That's the point though - settling on the definition. A few posts up you defined 'ghost' as 'soul' which leads to a necessity to define that.

Allow me to try!

Soul: a non-material abstraction used as a metaphor for human consciousness; thought to survive the body's death in some mythologies

FlexGunship said:
Allow me to try!

Soul: a non-material abstraction used as a metaphor for human consciousness; thought to survive the body's death in some mythologies

Thus this threads title 'Do ghosts exist' becomes ..

'Does an abastraction used as a metaphor for consciousness exist'

Well, let's see who can tackle that !

alt said:
Thus this threads title 'Do ghosts exist' becomes ..

'Does an abastraction used as a metaphor for consciousness exist'

Well, let's see who can tackle that !

Okay, well, I see your point.

A soul is not "matter" by most claims... so it is non-material.
It is a single word abstraction used to define an entire concept.
It is routinely used in conversation as a metaphor for consciousness.

Does it exist? Almost certainly not, which is one reason why the ghost hypothesis is so weak.

FlexGunship said:

Does it exist? Almost certainly not, which is one reason why the ghost hypothesis is so weak.

Yes .. no ..

For the record, I'm a great sceptic of ghosts too - as in the popular concept of that word. But in your third, above, you've clouded th issue. I certainly believe in consciousness.

Spelling edit

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:

Further, does WHAT exist ?

alt said:

A soul.

The whole purpose of that post was describing the soul and asking if it exists (rhetorically).

alt said:

Are you kidding?! Pronouns really get you. The subject of a paragraph, after it has been established, can be referred to by a pronoun: (http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/pronoun.asp).

This has happened in two threads now.

Okay, well, [FlexGunship] sees [alt's] point.

A soul is not "matter" by most claims... so [a soul] is non-material.
["Soul"] is a single word abstraction used to define an entire concept.
["Soul"] is routinely used in conversation as a metaphor for consciousness.

Does [the soul] exist? Almost certainly not, which is one reason why the ghost hypothesis is so weak.

As you can see, the sentence: "A soul is not "matter" by most claims..." establishes the subject of the sentence, and since a second subject (or object) has not been introduced, non-gender specific pronouns refer to it directly.

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you're having trouble following the discussion (for grammar and syntax reasons), it's probably best if you abstain from contribution.

alt said:
For the record, I'm a great sceptic of ghosts too - as in the popular concept of that word. But in your third, above, you've clouded th issue. I certainly believe in consciousness.

"used in conversation as a metaphor for consciousness"

Just because I use Ghandi's flip flop as a metaphor for my mouth after a night out drinking, does not make my mouth Ghandi's flip flop. Neither does it prove that Ghandi's flip flop ever existed, only that the concept of said persons footwear did.

The use of it as a metaphor for consciousness simply aids in peoples understanding of what consciousness is.

I believe flex (although do correct me if I'm wrong here flex) was simply pointing out where the term soul is used and how it gets thrown around, used to cover so many bases without proper definition.

jarednjames said:
"used in conversation as a metaphor for consciousness"

Just because I use Ghandi's flip flop as a metaphor for my mouth after a night out drinking, does not make my mouth Ghandi's flip flop. Neither does it prove that Ghandi's flip flop ever existed, only that the concept of said persons footwear did.

The use of it as a metaphor for consciousness simply aids in peoples understanding of what consciousness is.

I believe flex (although do correct me if I'm wrong here flex) was simply pointing out where the term soul is used and how it gets thrown around, used to cover so many bases without proper definition.

Yeah, yeah, I know - but if you read earlier, we were trying to home in on definitions. If, asked for a definition of your mouth, you wouldn't narrow it down to 'Ghandis flip flop' (whatever that is) .. would you .. ?

This thread has more than run its course.

<h2>1. Do ghosts really exist?</h2><p>The existence of ghosts is a highly debated topic and there is no scientific evidence to support their existence. Many people believe in ghosts based on personal experiences or cultural beliefs, but there is no concrete scientific proof.</p><h2>2. What are ghosts?</h2><p>Ghosts are believed to be the spirits or souls of deceased individuals who have not yet moved on to the afterlife. They are often described as being invisible or translucent and are thought to be able to interact with the living world.</p><h2>3. How do people claim to see ghosts?</h2><p>People who claim to have seen ghosts often report seeing apparitions or shadows, feeling a presence, or hearing unexplained noises. However, these experiences can often be attributed to natural phenomena, psychological factors, or hoaxes.</p><h2>4. Can science explain ghosts?</h2><p>Science has not been able to provide a concrete explanation for ghosts. Many scientists believe that the concept of ghosts is a result of human imagination and perception, rather than a real phenomenon.</p><h2>5. What is the role of belief in ghosts?</h2><p>Belief in ghosts is a personal and cultural belief that is not based on scientific evidence. It can provide comfort or explanation for unexplained events, but it is not a scientifically proven concept.</p>

1. Do ghosts really exist?

The existence of ghosts is a highly debated topic and there is no scientific evidence to support their existence. Many people believe in ghosts based on personal experiences or cultural beliefs, but there is no concrete scientific proof.

2. What are ghosts?

Ghosts are believed to be the spirits or souls of deceased individuals who have not yet moved on to the afterlife. They are often described as being invisible or translucent and are thought to be able to interact with the living world.

3. How do people claim to see ghosts?

People who claim to have seen ghosts often report seeing apparitions or shadows, feeling a presence, or hearing unexplained noises. However, these experiences can often be attributed to natural phenomena, psychological factors, or hoaxes.

4. Can science explain ghosts?

Science has not been able to provide a concrete explanation for ghosts. Many scientists believe that the concept of ghosts is a result of human imagination and perception, rather than a real phenomenon.

5. What is the role of belief in ghosts?

Belief in ghosts is a personal and cultural belief that is not based on scientific evidence. It can provide comfort or explanation for unexplained events, but it is not a scientifically proven concept.