Calculating Force Due to Inertia of a Block

In summary: Your name]In summary, the student is asking how to calculate the x-component of the acceleration at the opposite corner (B) of a block resting on a frictionless surface, given an applied force and the moment of inertia. The solution involves using the equation F=Ma, where F is the applied force, M is the mass of the block, and a is the acceleration. The force due to inertia can be calculated using the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration, but since the block is not rotating, it is equal to 0. Therefore, the equation simplifies to F=Ma, and the x-component of the acceleration at corner B can be solved for.
Dupain

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I have a very beginner question:

Lets say we have a block(147mm*241mm) of mass M=5.1kg resting on a frictionless surface.
Now if a force of F, 483N is applied to one corner(A) of the block, the latter moves in a horizontal plane and at this instant the block does not have angular velocity.
How do we calculate the x-component of the acceleration of the opposite corner(B)??

I know i have to find the moment of inertia which i did using : 5.1/12 *(147^2+241^2)... then what should i do??

Homework Equations

Equation for inertia: M/12(L^2+b^2)
F-f=Ma

f=force due to inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

I have only calculated the inertia and i do not know how to continue

Physics news on Phys.org
from there.

Dear student,

It seems like you are on the right track with calculating the moment of inertia. Now, to calculate the x-component of the acceleration of the opposite corner (B), we can use the equation F-f=Ma, where F is the applied force, f is the force due to inertia, M is the mass of the block, and a is the acceleration. In this case, we are interested in the x-component of the acceleration, so we can write it as ax.

First, we need to find the force due to inertia, f. This can be calculated using the moment of inertia you have already found, by multiplying it by the angular acceleration. However, since the block is not rotating, the angular acceleration is 0, so the force due to inertia is also 0.

Now, we can rewrite the equation as F=Ma, and solve for ax. We know the applied force (F) and the mass (M) of the block, so we can plug those values in and solve for ax. This will give us the x-component of the acceleration at corner B.

I hope this helps you continue with your solution. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed.

1. What is force due to inertia of a block?

The force due to inertia of a block is the resistance that a stationary object or a body in motion has to overcome in order to change its state of motion.

2. How do you calculate the force due to inertia of a block?

The force due to inertia of a block can be calculated using the formula F = m * a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the block in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. What is the difference between force due to inertia and force due to acceleration?

The force due to inertia refers to the inherent resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion, while the force due to acceleration is the external force that causes an object to change its state of motion.

4. How does the mass of a block affect the force due to inertia?

The force due to inertia is directly proportional to the mass of the block. This means that as the mass increases, the force required to change the state of motion also increases.

5. Can the force due to inertia be negative?

No, the force due to inertia cannot be negative. Inertia is a property that objects possess and it cannot have a negative value. However, the direction of the force due to inertia can be opposite to the direction of the external force causing the change in motion.