How do I classify acids and bases in chemistry?

In summary, to determine whether a compound is a strong acid, weak acid, strong base, weak base, or amphoteric, one can compare the original compound with the deprotonated compound and look for stabilizing effects such as resonance or conjugation. Strong bases are typically readily soluble strong electrolytes that are salts of hydroxide ions, such as NaOH. The stability of the conjugate can also indicate the strength of the acid or base.
Prone17
Can anyone explain to me how to determine whether a compound is a strong acid, weak acid, strong base, weak base, or amphoteric? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For acids, compare the original compound with the deprotonated compound. Look for stabilizing effects like resonance. For select families of organic molecules, conjugation may play a part.

The only stong bases I know of are readily soluble strong electrolytes which are salts of hydroxide ions.

What is this? :
The only stong bases I know of are readily soluble strong electrolytes which are salts of hydroxide ions.

Your other descriptive information is good, but what is a salt of hydroxide ion? A base is not a salt.

For example, NaOH is a salt of a hydroxide ion. It goes into solution, dissolves into ions, and the hydroxide acts as the base.

Look at the stability of the conjugate. The more stable the conjugate, the stronger the acid or base.

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/baseacid.html

1. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid is a substance that completely dissociates or breaks apart into ions when in aqueous solution. This means that nearly all of the acid molecules will react with water to form H+ ions. In contrast, a weak acid only partially dissociates in water, meaning that only a small portion of the acid molecules will form H+ ions.

2. How do I determine if a substance is a strong or weak acid?

The strength of an acid can be determined by its dissociation constant (Ka). A strong acid will have a very large Ka value, while a weak acid will have a smaller Ka value. Additionally, the more polar a molecule is, the more likely it is to be a strong acid.

3. What are some examples of strong acids and weak acids?

Some common examples of strong acids include hydrochloric acid (HCl), sulfuric acid (H2SO4), and nitric acid (HNO3). Weak acids include acetic acid (CH3COOH), citric acid (H3C6H5O7), and formic acid (HCOOH).

4. How does the strength of an acid affect its pH?

The strength of an acid directly affects its pH. Strong acids have a low pH, typically around 1 or 2, because they produce a high concentration of H+ ions in solution. Weak acids have a higher pH, usually between 3-6, because they produce a lower concentration of H+ ions.

5. What is the difference between a strong base and a weak base?

Similar to acids, a strong base is one that completely dissociates in water to form OH- ions. A weak base only partially dissociates, resulting in a lower concentration of OH- ions in solution. Strong bases include sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and potassium hydroxide (KOH), while weak bases include ammonia (NH3) and magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH)2).