Exploring Eisenstein Series: Proving Recurrence Relations for G_k(z)

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the recurrence relations for G_k(z) using the Weierstrass \wp function and the differential equation it satisfies. The proof involves differentiating the equation and equating like powers of z. One person admits to overlooking the simplicity of the solution, while another expresses frustration at not realizing it sooner.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Can someone give me a hint how to show the recurrence relations for [tex]G_k(z)[/tex]
,in wiki it's for the d_n's?

Other than proving it by induction I don't have clue what to do here.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously I need to use here some property of Eisenstein series, I just need to know which?

Anyone?
:uhh:

Were talking about the recurrence relation here, right?

I haven't worked out all the details, but here's how the proof is supposed to go:

The Weierstrass [itex]\wp[/itex] function (see here) satisfies the following differential equation:

[tex][\wp'(z)]^2 = 4[\wp(z)]^3 - g_2\wp(z) - g_3[/tex]

where [itex]g_2[/itex] and [itex]g_3[/itex] are the same as defined in the wiki article on Eisenstein series. Differentiate this equation and cancel [itex]\wp'(z)[/itex] to get the second order differential equation

[tex]\wp''(z) = 6[\wp(z)]^2 - \frac{1}{2}g_2[/tex]

Now, as in the Eisenstein series article, we have

[tex]\wp(z) = z^{-2} + z^2 \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{d_kz^{2k}}{k!} = \frac{1}{z^2} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(2k + 1)G_{2k+2}z^{2k}[/tex]

Differentiate twice and equate like powers of z.

I am an idiot, the second ODE you gave me I proved before this task.

I shouldv'e known it would be that easy.

Thanks.
:grumpy:

One approach to proving the recurrence relations for G_k(z) is to use the definition of Eisenstein series and the properties of modular forms. Specifically, you can use the fact that G_k(z) is a modular form of weight k for the full modular group, which means that it satisfies certain transformation properties under the action of the modular group. This can help you manipulate the expression for G_k(z) and show that it satisfies the recurrence relations. Additionally, you can also use the properties of the Dedekind eta function, which is closely related to the Eisenstein series, to help with the proof. Another helpful tool could be to use the Fourier expansion of G_k(z) and manipulate it to show the recurrence relations. Overall, it will likely require a combination of these techniques and possibly others to prove the recurrence relations for G_k(z).

1. What is the significance of exploring Eisenstein series?

Exploring Eisenstein series is significant in the field of number theory as it allows us to understand the behavior of certain types of infinite series, known as Eisenstein series. These series have important applications in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, modular forms, and representation theory.

2. What are recurrence relations for Gk(z)?

Recurrence relations for Gk(z) are equations that describe the pattern of coefficients in the Eisenstein series. These relations are important in proving the properties and identities of the series, as well as in understanding their connections to other areas of mathematics.

3. How are recurrence relations for Gk(z) proved?

The recurrence relations for Gk(z) can be proved using various techniques, including induction, manipulation of series expansions, and the theory of modular forms. These methods involve careful analysis of the properties of the Eisenstein series and their coefficients.

4. What are some applications of recurrence relations for Gk(z)?

Recurrence relations for Gk(z) have various applications in mathematics, including in the study of modular forms, representation theory, and algebraic geometry. They also have connections to other areas, such as number theory and combinatorics.

5. Are recurrence relations for Gk(z) difficult to understand?

The level of difficulty in understanding recurrence relations for Gk(z) may vary depending on one's mathematical background and familiarity with the topic. However, with careful study and practice, these relations can be understood and applied in various mathematical contexts.