If Moment of Inertia units are mm^4, how do you use it in calculations?

In summary, the conversation touched on the use of moment of inertia in static calculations, where the unit is typically in mm^4. The unit can be converted to kgm^2, but there may be situations where mm^4 is used to avoid excessive zeros. It was clarified that the formulas for moment of inertia and second moment of area should not be mixed up, as they are related to rotation and bending, respectively. The importance of considering thickness and density in determining moment of inertia was also discussed.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
So, we learned that the units of Moment of Inertia are mm^4. My question is how do they use moment of inertia in static calculation (where we use Newtons), if Moment of Inertia is in mm^4?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please doblecheck your notes or your textbook.
The unit of moment of inertia is mass times length squared, in SI kgm^2.
In statics you often use a related quantity called radius of gyration.
If you really need to use mm^4: You know how to convert mm to m, square mm to sqare m, cubic mm to cubic m, don´t you?.

EDIT: WAit.

He's not talkign about angular mass, he's talking about second moment of area or polar moment of inertia.
They are all so similarlally named it gets really confusing.

OP could you clarify which moment of inertia you would like to know about :D

Last edited:
maimonides said:
Please doblecheck your notes or your textbook.
The unit of moment of inertia is mass times length squared, in SI kgm^2.
In statics you often use a related quantity called radius of gyration.
If you really need to use mm^4: You know how to convert mm to m, square mm to sqare m, cubic mm to cubic m, don´t you?.
1) Double checking my notes the units for the result of Moment of Inertia are [mm^4]. Perhaps it's because we're working in 2D, or haven't started calculus yet?

2) So radius of gyration is simply the Inertia divided by the area, and that's the quality you're normally given in a statics equation in order to solve a problem whether something moves or not?

3) To answer your last question, yes-- unit conversion is easy peasy.

Sorry about the confusion with the moment(s).
In Newton, you have m as length unit. So you better convert all lengths to m. (But I think you´ve got it.)
Edit: I didn´t notice the "they". You´re probably dealing with small (mm- or centimeter sized) rods (or whatever); so they use mm´s to avoid zeros or having to write 10^-12 all the time. Might be different for a bridge.
Second afterthought: There are "engineering formulae" , which only work for specific (not always consistent) units. (Opposed to "physics formulae", which require consistent units) They have the conversion factors built in somewhere. Sometimes somebody does not state clearly enough which kind of formula is used.

Last edited:
np, I did scan my class notes if it helps (they're in hebrew but the math is there). I'm not so worried about conversion, just trying to understand how it works.

Let's say I applied on a circular object a 50 Newton force at an ideal location to cause rotation (i.e. away from the COM). I need to relate that 50 Newton force to cubic m [or let's say to mm^4], yes?

(Scanned class notes attached below)

Attachments

• mi1.jpg
    mi1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,819
  • mi2.jpg
    mi2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,408
I´m a bit confused.
On the first page, you have I = mr^2 and then something that looks like Steiners theorem\parallel axis theorem. (Moment of inertia for a body rotating around an axis not through its CoM). ("A" ought to be a mass, maybe there was some density factor, that got left out. The formula also applies to sMoA calculations, then A is correct, but the index CoM is doubtful)
Thne you switch to I ~ r^4, and on the second page you have I = h*b^3/12. Those I´s are, as Chris pointed out, second moments of area (sMoA). They have to do with bending of bars, not with rotation.
You can´t mix I(rot.) and I(sMoA).
Is your problem about bending a bar/rod or about rotating a body?

These links might be helpful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steiner's_theorem

Well, that's what I copied from the board, maim.

My problem is about rotating a body, not bending bar/rod.

Let me gather my thoughts and make a proper reply. I want to draw a couple of my own diagrams to show you exactly what I mean but I lack time right now...but I'll definitely post back here when I'm freed.

Femme_physics said:
Let's say I applied on a circular object a 50 Newton force at an ideal location to cause rotation (i.e. away from the COM). I need to relate that 50 Newton force to cubic m [or let's say to mm^4], yes?
If you're given the moment of inertia in mm^4, you need to know the thickness and density of the circular disc, so you can figure out the moment of inertia in units of M*L^2

I think I fully understand now. My only issue is that we were doing static calculations with pulley we never considered thickness an density, but I guess that's because we were doing simple problems. Anyway, I got it worked out now :) Thanks.

Thank you so much Gokul... and Femme ofcourse thank u too

1. How do you convert mm^4 to other units of Moment of Inertia?

To convert mm^4 to other units of Moment of Inertia, you can use the following conversion factors:
1 mm^4 = 1.0 x 10^-12 m^4
1 mm^4 = 1.0 x 10^-6 cm^4
1 mm^4 = 1.0 x 10^-8 in^4
1 mm^4 = 1.0 x 10^-10 ft^4
Simply multiply the value of mm^4 by the corresponding conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

2. How is Moment of Inertia calculated using mm^4 units?

To calculate Moment of Inertia using mm^4 units, you need to know the mass of the object, the distance of each mass element from the axis of rotation, and the square of that distance. The formula for calculating Moment of Inertia is I = ∑mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. Simply plug in the values and units (mm^4) and then perform the necessary operations to get the final value.

3. Can you use mm^4 units for all types of objects?

Yes, mm^4 units can be used for all types of objects as long as the dimensions of the object are in millimeters. However, if the dimensions are in other units, you will need to convert them to mm before using mm^4 units for Moment of Inertia calculations.

4. Is Moment of Inertia always measured in mm^4 units?

No, Moment of Inertia can be measured in various units such as m^4, cm^4, in^4, ft^4, etc. The choice of units depends on the dimensions of the object being measured. In some cases, it may be more convenient to use other units, but the calculations are essentially the same.

5. How does using mm^4 units affect the accuracy of Moment of Inertia calculations?

Using mm^4 units does not affect the accuracy of Moment of Inertia calculations as long as the dimensions of the object are measured consistently in millimeters. The conversion to other units does not change the actual value of Moment of Inertia, it only changes the numerical value due to the different magnitudes of the units.