Looking for reading material on extrasolar planet detection

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for good reading material on various extrasolar planet detection techniques, including radial velocity, transit monitoring, microlensing, detection of IR thermal emission, and direct imaging. The individual is interested in learning about the capabilities and limitations of each technique, particularly in terms of what they can detect and their advantages and disadvantages. A book titled "Exoplanets" by Sara Seager is recommended, as well as a free PDF version available online. Pulsar timing is also mentioned as another detection method.
Deadstar
Hey guys I'm looking for some good reading material on the following extrasolar planet detection techniques (not sure if there are any other...)

Radial velocty
Transit monitoring
Microlensing
Detection of IR thermal emission
Direct Imaging.

Basically I'd like to read about what these techniques can do as far as what they can detect (eccentricity, mass, etc...) and their advantages/disadvantages. Ideally I'd like to be able to print this info so I could read it on my daily commute but I can always sort that out... (i.e. like if it was in pdf form that would be great)

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about PDFs, but there's an excellent book called Exoplanets, edited by Sara Seager (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0816529450/?tag=pfamazon01-20) that essentially covers everything about exoplanets. There is a chapter on each of the topics you listed in the beginning of the book, as well as a bunch of more theoretical (dynamics and formation) stuff later on. Each section includes a thorough list of references if you want to look into more depth.

You might be able to find a PDF of it online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend this one, it's free and just a click away. I haven't read everything in it yet but some.

http://brucegary.net/book_EOA/EOA.pdf

Enjoy!

Regards, Robin Andersson.

Another exoplanet detection method is pulsar timing. That was actually the first method ever used.

I would recommend starting with a review article published in a reputable scientific journal such as Astronomy and Astrophysics Review or Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. These articles provide a comprehensive overview of the different techniques for extrasolar planet detection, including radial velocity, transit monitoring, microlensing, detection of IR thermal emission, and direct imaging. They also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each technique, as well as the types of information that can be obtained, such as eccentricity and mass.

If you prefer a more condensed and easily accessible source, I would suggest checking out the NASA Exoplanet Archive website, which offers a variety of resources and articles on extrasolar planet detection techniques. Some of these resources may be available in PDF form, making it convenient for your daily commute.

Additionally, you can also search for specific papers or articles on each of the techniques you are interested in, using databases such as arXiv or Google Scholar. These platforms allow you to search for scientific articles and often provide access to PDF versions of the papers.

Overall, I would recommend consulting a variety of sources to gain a thorough understanding of extrasolar planet detection techniques and their capabilities. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of studying extrasolar planet detection?

Studying extrasolar planets, or planets that orbit around stars other than our sun, can help us understand the formation and evolution of our own solar system. It can also help us identify potentially habitable planets and search for signs of extraterrestrial life.

2. How do scientists detect extrasolar planets?

One of the most common methods is the transit method, where scientists observe the slight decrease in a star's brightness as a planet passes in front of it. Another method is the radial velocity method, which measures the slight wobble of a star caused by the gravitational pull of a planet orbiting around it.

3. What are some current missions or projects focused on extrasolar planet detection?

Some notable missions include NASA's Kepler and TESS telescopes, which use the transit method to search for extrasolar planets. The European Space Agency's Gaia mission also aims to detect and study extrasolar planets using the radial velocity method.

4. What kind of information can we learn about extrasolar planets?

Through various detection methods and observations, scientists can learn about the size, mass, and orbit of an extrasolar planet. They can also study the composition of its atmosphere and potential habitability.

5. Are there any notable discoveries in the field of extrasolar planet detection?

Yes, there have been numerous significant discoveries, including the first confirmed detection of an extrasolar planet in 1992 and the discovery of thousands of exoplanets since then. In 2016, the TRAPPIST-1 system was discovered, which has seven Earth-sized planets, three of which are in the habitable zone.