Question about linear algebra as applied to physics

In summary, Linear algebra may not be a requirement for physics majors, but it is highly recommended for success in the field and for graduate school. It is also used frequently in classical and quantum mechanics. It is recommended to take a course rather than trying to teach oneself. One semester of linear algebra should be sufficient, but both semesters may be necessary for a more in-depth understanding.
torquemada
The physics degree in my university doesn't require linear algebra courses, but I heard knowledge of LA is very useful for success in physics. Can I teach myself what I need to know, or should I take LA courses for credit? Should I get LA done with before even stepping foot in a physics class (my OCD tells me this) or should I just learn new math on the fly as it pops up in whatever physics I take? (assuming of course I have the basic calculus reqs under my belt which are non-negotiable) Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just take linear algebra ASAP if I were you. You will use it all the time in classical and quantum mechanics. There's no reason not to take it or to put off taking it.

Linear algebra is a requirement for both Physics and Engineering majors at my school. What most people found hard about it was that it tends to be quite different from the high school math and calculus that you're used to, so personally I'd recommend taking a course on it rather than trying to teach yourself.

For a physics major, my school doesn't technically require linear algebra either.

However, it is required for the honours degree and it is very strongly recommended by all the profs if you're planning on grad school.

I've also heard of schools that didn't require a specific course in LA, or any advanced math classes, because their physics students were required to take a progression of mathematical physics courses to get the math they needed. Maybe this is the course with your institution?

For what it's worth: Linear Algebra is my favorite math class! It's a good change of pace from the calculus-based work that's likely dominated your life for 2-3 years.

torquemada said:
The physics degree in my university doesn't require linear algebra courses, but I heard knowledge of LA is very useful for success in physics. Can I teach myself what I need to know, or should I take LA courses for credit? Should I get LA done with before even stepping foot in a physics class (my OCD tells me this) or should I just learn new math on the fly as it pops up in whatever physics I take? (assuming of course I have the basic calculus reqs under my belt which are non-negotiable) Thanks

LA isn't required by the physics or the engineering department at my school though it's taught in the classes specific to where it's needed; however I would recommend you take it at least before you take quantum mechanics. On top of partial differential equations, QM is lots of transformations.

Thanks guys. Would one semester of Linear algebra be enough or are both semesters necessary?

MATH 231. Linear Algebra i. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
Prereq.: One semester of calculus. An
introduction to linear algebra with emphasis
on techniques and applications. Topics to
be covered include solutions of systems of
linear equations, vector spaces, bases and
dimension, linear transformations, matrix
algebra, determinants, eigenvalues, and
inner products.

MATH 232. Linear Algebra ii. 3 hr.; 3 cr.
Prereq.: MATH 231. A second course in
linear algebra. Topics include a continuation
of matrices and linear transformations,
canonical forms, invariants, equivalence
relations, similarity of matrices, eigenvalues
and eigenvectors, orthogonal transformations
and rigid motions, quadratic forms, bilinear
maps, symmetric matrices, reduction of a
real quadratic form and applications to conic
sections and quadric surfaces.

torquemada said:
Thanks guys. Would one semester of Linear algebra be enough or are both semesters necessary?

MATH 231. Linear Algebra i. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
Prereq.: One semester of calculus. An
introduction to linear algebra with emphasis
on techniques and applications. Topics to
be covered include solutions of systems of
linear equations, vector spaces, bases and
dimension, linear transformations, matrix
algebra, determinants, eigenvalues, and
inner products.

MATH 232. Linear Algebra ii. 3 hr.; 3 cr.
Prereq.: MATH 231. A second course in
linear algebra. Topics include a continuation
of matrices and linear transformations,
canonical forms, invariants, equivalence
relations, similarity of matrices, eigenvalues
and eigenvectors, orthogonal transformations
and rigid motions, quadratic forms, bilinear
maps, symmetric matrices, reduction of a
real quadratic form and applications to conic
sections and quadric surfaces.

The first class sounds exactly like the linear algebra course I just took, and I am a physics major. I have yet to really use much of it in my physics courses, but I haven't taken classical mechanics 2 or quantum, which I hear use it quite often. I think you should be fine with the first course.

1. What is linear algebra and how is it applied to physics?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. In physics, linear algebra is used to describe physical systems and their properties, such as position, velocity, and forces, using vectors and matrices.

2. Can you give an example of how linear algebra is used in physics?

One example is the use of matrices to describe the quantum state of a particle. The wave function, which represents the quantum state, is a vector in a vector space. Operations such as addition, multiplication, and eigenvalue calculations can be performed on these vectors to determine the behavior and properties of the particle.

3. How does linear algebra help with solving physics problems?

Linear algebra provides a powerful toolkit for solving complex equations and systems of equations. In physics, this is useful for calculating the behavior of physical systems, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the energy levels of atoms. By using linear algebra, we can break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts and solve them using mathematical operations on vectors and matrices.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to understand linear algebra in physics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is necessary, a strong background is not always required. Linear algebra can be introduced at various levels, and many concepts can be easily grasped with practice and application. However, a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts can provide a more comprehensive understanding of how linear algebra is applied in physics.

5. Can linear algebra be applied to other branches of physics besides quantum mechanics?

Yes, linear algebra is a fundamental tool used in many branches of physics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also used in fields such as optics, fluid dynamics, and general relativity. The principles of linear algebra are versatile and can be applied in various areas of physics to solve problems and make predictions.