Gauss' Law - Infinite Sheet of Charge

In summary, the Gauss's law equation states that the electric field intensity vector of an infinite sheet of charge in free space is equal to the product of the charge enclosed by the surface and the surface area of the sheet.
jegues

Homework Statement

Using Gauss' law, derive the expression for the electric field intensity vector of an infinite sheet of charge in free space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for their solution and the figure that goes with the problem.

What do they mean by planar symmetry? Is it simply that the whole surface lies in a plane and is symmetric?

Also it's not obvious to me as to how they developped their answer.

Using Gauss's law,

[itex]\oint_{S} \vec{E}\cdot\hat{n}dS = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

First we note that the electric field vectors in space due to the sheet are normal to the sheet.

Now if I enclose the sheet in a rectangular cube, the electric field vectors will be pointing parallel to the normal vectors on the top and bottom of the rectangular cube.

Thus,

[itex]E\oint_{S}dS = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_{0}} [/itex]

The surface area of the rectangular box, [itex]\oint_{S}dS[/itex] should simply be 2(lh) + 2(lw) + 2(wh), where l=length, w=width, h=height.

I don't see this approaching the answer they provide.

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong, or how I'm misinterpreting their solution?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Q1.59.JPG
    Q1.59.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 813
Physics news on Phys.org
I might be missing something but where did you get this rectangle from? If you then enclose this infinite sheet in a cube, you have an infinite cube. I don't really see how there would be an electric field from a charge an infinite distance away.

The flux crossing one side of the cube is the scalar product of the electric field with the normal of the surface. There are two sides of the cube perpendicular to the electric field, the other four sides are parallel, resulting in zero flux.

ehild

Moderator's note: thread moved to Introductory Physics.

ehild said:
The flux crossing one side of the cube is the scalar product of the electric field with the normal of the surface. There are two sides of the cube perpendicular to the electric field, the other four sides are parallel, resulting in zero flux.

ehild

I would say there are two sides parallel, and four sides perpenicular to the electric field.

If I have a infinite long sheet of charge, the electric field vectors are going to point straight up and down.

If I were to put this sheet in the xy plane the electric field vectors would point in the positive & negative z directions.

I agree that there will be 4 sides with no flux flowing out of them, but the portions of the cube above and below the sheet should have flux flowing out of them with their electric field vectors parallel to the vector normal to the top/bottom of the cube.

So basically,

[tex]E \oint_{S}dS = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

But what is the surface area of one side of the cube? They denote this surface area as,

[tex]S_{0}[/tex]

So the flux flowing out of one side of the cube is,

[tex]ES_{0} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

So the total flux flowing out of the cube is double that, (i.e. it flows out 2 sides, top and bottom)

[tex]2ES_{0} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

The charge enclosed will be,

[tex]\rho_{s} \cdot S_{0}[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]E = \frac{\rho_{s}S_{0}}{2S_{0}\epsilon_{0}} = \frac{\rho_{s}}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

I'm fairly certain this is the correct way to think about the problem.

Correct.

ehild

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the net electric charge enclosed by a closed surface. It states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How does Gauss' Law apply to an infinite sheet of charge?

In the case of an infinite sheet of charge, Gauss' Law states that the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface of the sheet. This means that the electric flux through any closed surface is simply the product of the electric field and the area of the surface.

3. What is the mathematical expression for Gauss' Law?

The mathematical expression for Gauss' Law is ∮SE•dA = Qenc0, where ∮SE•dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface S, Qenc is the net charge enclosed by the surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. How can Gauss' Law be used to calculate the electric field of an infinite sheet of charge?

To calculate the electric field of an infinite sheet of charge, we can use the formula E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density of the sheet. This formula is derived from Gauss' Law by considering a cylindrical Gaussian surface enclosing the sheet and taking the limit as the radius of the cylinder approaches infinity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Gauss' Law - Infinite Sheet of Charge?

Gauss' Law - Infinite Sheet of Charge is commonly used in the field of electrostatics to analyze the electric field of charged parallel plates, which are often used in capacitors. It is also used in the design and analysis of microelectronic devices, such as microchips and transistors. Additionally, Gauss' Law has applications in understanding and predicting the behavior of lightning strikes and electric fields in the atmosphere.