Definition of magnetic moments and torques

In summary, when finding the torque on a rectangular current loop, one finds that it's equal to \vec m \times \vec B. However, when looking at a wikipedia page on magnetic moments, it is stated that the magnetic moment is defined as \vec m =\frac{1}{2} I\oint \vec r \times \vec dl. This factor of a half comes into play when calculating the area of a circle.
center o bass
When one finds the torque on a rectangular current loop one finds that it's equal to

[tex]\vec m \times \vec B[/tex]

where m is the magnetic moment of the loop. I want to generalize this to arbirary current loops with constant current and I found that the torque would be equal to

[tex] \left(I\oint \vec r \times \vec dl\right) \times \vec B[/tex]

so I would think it would be natural to define

[tex] \vec m =I\oint \vec r \times \vec dl [/tex]

for these current loops. However when it up at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_moment" I find that the magnetic moment is defined as

[tex]\vec m =\frac{1}{2} I\oint \vec r \times \vec dl. [/tex]

Where does this factor of a half come into the picture? Is'nt 'moments' supposed to be that what generates torques and not just be proportional to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look closely at your formula, does it give the right area when you take for example a circle? (The factor 1/2 is needed to calculate the area correctly)

That's true. But I do not want the right area, just the right torque. I must admit I am a bit confused. I just saw a derivation of a statement that

[tex] \vec r \times (d\vec r \times \vec B) = \frac{1}{2} \left( d\left[ \vec r \times ( \vec r \times \vec B\right] - \vec B \times ( \vec r \times d \vec r ) \right)[/tex]

Which would indeed solve the problem. But does this then imply that

[tex] \oint \vec r \times (d\vec r \times \vec B) = \frac{1}{2} \oint \left( d\left[ \vec r \times ( \vec r \times \vec B\right] - \vec B \times ( \vec r \times d \vec r ) \right) = \frac{1}{2} (\oint \vec r \times d \vec r) \times \vec B?[/tex]

if so that would imply that

[tex]\oint \vec r \times ( d \vec r \times \vec B ) - \frac{1}2 (\vec r \times d \vec r) \times \vec B = 0 [/tex]

and can we not then conclude that

[tex]\vec r \times ( d \vec r \times \vec B ) = \frac{1}2 (\vec r \times d \vec r) \times \vec B?[/tex]

which seems to be a contradiction when I would think that

[tex]\vec A \times ( \vec B \times \vec C) = (\vec A \times \vec B) \times \vec C.[/tex]

I would really appreciate if someone could enligthen me.

When two integrals are the same, that does not necessarily mean the integrated functions are the same. Also, in general Ax(BxC) is not equal to (AxB)xC, always watch out with that. (these are just general remarks)

How did you arrive at your first expression for the torque? (in post #1)

edit: I was a little too fast with this reply, I should add that in this case of course you need the factor 1/2 to get to the right answer, and therefore you will need some identity ;). I suspect you (mis)used that Ax(BxC) = (AxB)xC for your first result?

Last edited:
You're right! That exactly what I did. And that solves my problem. Thank you! :)

What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field produced by a magnet or a current-carrying loop. It is represented by the symbol μ and is measured in units of ampere-meter squared (A•m²).

How is a magnetic moment calculated?

The magnetic moment of an object is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area (A) of the loop or magnet, and the sine of the angle (θ) between the direction of the field and the normal to the surface of the loop or magnet. The formula is μ = B•A•sin(θ).

What is the difference between magnetic moment and magnetic dipole moment?

Magnetic moment and magnetic dipole moment are often used interchangeably, but technically, magnetic dipole moment refers to the magnetic moment of a dipole, which is a pair of equal and opposite poles separated by a small distance. Magnetic moment, on the other hand, can refer to the magnetic strength of any object, not just dipoles.

What is torque in relation to magnetic moments?

Torque is a measure of the turning force on an object. In the context of magnetic moments, torque refers to the rotational force that a magnetic field exerts on a magnet or current-carrying loop. The direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the magnetic moment and the magnetic field.

How is magnetic torque used in everyday life?

Magnetic torque is a fundamental principle in the operation of many electronic devices, such as electric motors and generators. It is also used in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic levitation (maglev) trains.