Top Real Analysis Books for Undergraduates: Expert Recommendations

In summary, the conversation is about finding a secondary text for real analysis and book recommendations are being shared. Some recommended texts include "The Way of Analysis" and "Understanding Analysis" by Kolmogorov & Fomin, "A First Course in Mathematical Analysis" by Brannan, and "Practical Analysis in One Variable" by Estep. The person asking for recommendations is looking for a book with good explanations and possibly some humor.
nlsherrill
Hi,

I am currently taking real analysis(undergraduate course), and am using the book "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Bartle and Sherbert. I think the book is okay overall, but I was hoping to purchase a secondary text to look at whenever I am confused with a proof or something in the Bartle book. Are any of the Dover books on real analysis any good? They are really cheap and that's what I am looking for. I don't need something to work problems out of, just something else to look at in case I don't understand something in Barte.

Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoy Pugh's Analysis text. Very clear, has a bit of humor and it does retain rigor (though some claim it is not completely rigorous in the first couple chapters).

Thanks all. Not really worried about rigor, just want good explanation of concepts. Also, a book with some humor(personality) would be great. The text I am using is dull, unemotional, and I have a sense that the authors aren't even that trilled by the topic.

Kolmogorov & Fomin is pretty good...

I like the following books:

Brannan - A First Course in Mathematical Analysis

Estep - Practical Analysis in One Variable

Unfortunately I have no experience with the Dover titles in analysis, so I can't offer any help on those. The books above are more expensive than most Dover publications, but if you like the Amazon previews/reviews then you might see if your library has copies.

Last edited:

1. What is a good introductory real analysis book for beginners?

A good introductory real analysis book for beginners is "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott. It provides a clear and accessible introduction to the subject with plenty of examples and exercises for practice.

2. What are some recommended real analysis books for advanced learners?

Some recommended real analysis books for advanced learners are "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin and "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick. These books cover advanced topics and provide a more rigorous approach to the subject.

3. Are there any real analysis books that focus on applications rather than theory?

Yes, "Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications" by Gerald Folland is a popular choice for its emphasis on applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. Can you recommend a real analysis book with a comprehensive proof bank?

"Real Mathematical Analysis" by Charles Pugh is known for its extensive proof bank, providing step-by-step proofs of key theorems and concepts, making it a valuable resource for students.

5. Is there a real analysis book that is suitable for self-study?

"Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott is a great option for self-study as it has a conversational writing style and includes numerous exercises with solutions for self-assessment.