Polynomial recurrence equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a recurrence relation for a combinatorics class using a generating function. The formula for the generating function is given and the conversation mentions using the geometric series to simplify it. It is suggested to reverse the order of summation to solve for the required L_k(x).
Pietjuh
For our combinatorics class there is a bonus excercise in which we have to solve the following recurrence relation:

[tex]L_k(x) = L_{k-1}(x) + xL_{k-2}(x)[/tex]

My first thought was to construct the following generating function:

[tex]F(x,y) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} L_k(x) y^k[/tex].

By putting in the recurrence relation I found a formula for this generating function:

[tex]F(x,y) = \frac{1+xy}{1-y-xy^2}[/tex]

Using the geometric series I found that this equals to:

[tex]F(x,y) = (1+xy)\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (y+xy^2)^k
= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (1+xy)(xy^2)^k\frac{(1+xy)^k}{(xy)^k}
= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=0}^k{k\choose n}(1+xy)x^ny^{n+k}[/tex]

Now I've tried all afternoon to rewrite this whole powerseries in terms of y, so I can equate the generating function with this powerseries and find the required [tex]L_k(x)[/tex], but I could'nt do it :(

Could someone give me a hint in which direction to look for now?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Reverse the order of summation. (the idea is analogous to reversing the order of integration in an iterated integral)

It seems like you are on the right track with using generating functions to solve this polynomial recurrence equation. One possible direction to look at is using the binomial theorem to expand the powers of (1+xy) in your generating function. This can help you rewrite the powerseries in terms of y and potentially lead to finding a closed form expression for L_k(x). Another approach could be to use the method of undetermined coefficients to find a particular solution for the recurrence relation, and then use the general solution to find L_k(x). I would also suggest consulting with your instructor or classmates for further guidance and clarification. Good luck!

1. What is a polynomial recurrence equation?

A polynomial recurrence equation is a mathematical equation that expresses a sequence of values in terms of previous values in the sequence. It is represented by a polynomial function, where each term in the function depends on one or more previous terms.

2. How is a polynomial recurrence equation different from a regular polynomial equation?

A regular polynomial equation is used to find the value of a variable in terms of other variables, while a polynomial recurrence equation is used to find a sequence of values based on previous values. Additionally, a recurrence equation can have multiple solutions, while a regular polynomial equation typically has only one solution.

3. What are the applications of polynomial recurrence equations?

Polynomial recurrence equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and computer science. They are commonly used to model and analyze natural phenomena and to solve problems related to data analysis, prediction, and optimization.

4. How do you solve a polynomial recurrence equation?

To solve a polynomial recurrence equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the desired outcome.

5. Can polynomial recurrence equations have non-integer solutions?

Yes, polynomial recurrence equations can have non-integer solutions. In fact, some equations may have complex or irrational solutions. These solutions can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the sequence and its relationship to other mathematical concepts.