Can I Safely Construct a Linac Experiment?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the viability and safety concerns of building a small-scale linac for ionized particles or electrons. The individual expressed their limited knowledge and experience in accelerator physics and sought input and opinions from others. However, they were advised against pursuing this project due to the potential dangers involved.
NMarkis
Hello everyone,

I'd like to say hello to all the fellows here at PF, I've been reading threads in the forum for the longest time, and have joined up today.

My inquiry is of the viability of constructing a sort of linac that accelerates ionized[gas], or electrons from an electron gun and ends up hitting (possibly a phosphor coated screen) a block, or though expensive, a Faraday cup. I understand the issues of less-than-ideal vacuum conditions, and especially in the case of the Beta particle, it is a requirement for anything in particular to happen. Getting magnets to work in unison to do any type of accelerating also has it's complexities to work out.

I've read for about a week now on the matters in accelerator physics than hanging around HEP Experiment section of arXiv.org for hours, so my intuition is extremely limited, but I'm eager to overcome this temporal roadblock.

I've seen some posts on here, and I sincerely apologize for any hint of overambitious perspectives or of the sort; I just want others input.

Thanks.

-Nikos

Physics news on Phys.org
"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."
Wernher von BraunMy situation summed up.

If you don't know what you are doing, the most likely outcome is injury or death. Please stop.

"If you don't know what you are doing, the most likely outcome is injury or death. Please stop."

My second post must have thrown you off:
I have experience with electronics, and playing with NST's, MIG welders, and AC sockets. I work at an airport shop, and use nitrogen bottles regularly, so anything to do with the vacuum is only under 14.7 PSI(compared to 3000 PSI). A polycarbonate tube would suffice for the vacuum cavity and would set any safety concerns-essentially-aside.

The incompetence I hold is the viability of building a small-scale linac under a $2000-$3000 budget.

What are some implications with the idea? How about it as a hypothetical question?

If you think a Linac uses magnets to accelerate, you don't know anywhere near enough to do this safely. The fact that you think you do makes you more dangerous, not less.

Thread closed - we do not discuss dangerous activities here.

What is an Amateur Linac Experiment?

An Amateur Linac Experiment is a scientific experiment that uses a linear accelerator, or linac, to accelerate charged particles to high energies. It is typically conducted by amateur scientists or enthusiasts who have a strong interest in particle physics and access to the necessary equipment.

How does a linac work?

A linac works by using electric fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons or protons, along a linear path. The particles are injected into the linac and then guided through a series of accelerating structures, called cavities, that are powered by radiofrequency waves. The particles gain energy as they pass through each cavity, resulting in a high-energy beam at the end of the linac.

What can be studied with an Amateur Linac Experiment?

Amateur Linac Experiments can be used to study a variety of phenomena, including particle interactions, nuclear physics, and the behavior of matter at high energies. They can also be used to investigate the properties of specific particles, such as electrons or protons, and to test theories in particle physics.

What are the potential dangers associated with Amateur Linac Experiments?

As with any scientific experiment involving high energies, there are potential dangers associated with Amateur Linac Experiments. These may include exposure to radiation, electrical hazards, and the risk of equipment malfunction. It is important for amateur scientists to thoroughly understand the safety protocols and precautions necessary for conducting such experiments.

Can Amateur Linac Experiments contribute to scientific research?

Yes, Amateur Linac Experiments can contribute to scientific research by providing valuable data and insights into particle physics and other related fields. They can also help to inspire and engage people in science and encourage further exploration and discovery. However, it is important for amateur scientists to follow ethical and safety guidelines when conducting these experiments.