Comparing definitions of groups, rings, modules, monoid rings

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of recognizing structures in abstract algebra and how different algebraic objects, such as monoids, groups, rings, modules, vector spaces, and algebras, can be classified based on the number of sets and operations they have. Monoid rings, which have two sets and two operations, were also mentioned as an important type of algebra. The concept of Universal Algebra was also brought up as a way to understand the connections between different algebraic structures.
algebrat
Hi, I wanted to see what people think about my current viewpoint on recognizing structures in abstract algebra.

You count the number of sets, and the number of operations for each set. You can also think about action by scalar or basis vectors.

So monoids groups and rings have one set. Groups and monoids have one operation, while rings have two operations.

Modules, vector spaces, and algebras have two sets. I call them the scalars and the vectors, for today. The scalars form a ring or field; the vectors form an abelian group, or even a ring themselves.

Monoid rings are interesting, they are hard to fit into my previous scheme, but are very important. They are an algebra, in the sense that they have two sets, a ring of scalars, and a ring of vectors. But further, their defining characteristic is that they have a basis of elements which can be multiplied. They include [STRIKE]adjuncts from Galois theory[/STRIKE], polynomial rings et cetera.

So we see algebras are both rings and modules, two different ways to look at them. Every monoid ring is an algebra.

But I wouldn't assume every algebra is a monoid ring, since we may not have a basis?

So this is my new framework as I review algebra texts and think about keeping track of examples.

Also, I sort of see the relevancy of for instance Lang's part 1 is about groups, rings, modules and polynomials, as these are sort of the basic objects as we increase structure, in the sense of number of sets and operations.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to read about Universal Algebra. It explains a lot of the connections between different algebraic structures.

1. What is a group?

A group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce another element in the set. The operation must be associative, have an identity element, and every element must have an inverse.

2. How is a ring different from a group?

A ring is also a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and two operations, usually addition and multiplication. Unlike a group, a ring's multiplication operation does not need to have an inverse for every element, and it may not be commutative.

3. What is a module?

A module is a generalization of a vector space, where the scalars are not necessarily numbers but can come from a ring. It consists of a set of elements, a ring of scalars, and two operations: scalar multiplication and addition.

4. How does a monoid ring differ from a ring?

A monoid ring is a special type of ring where the elements of the ring come from a monoid instead of a set. Unlike a regular ring, a monoid ring's multiplication operation may not be commutative and may not have an inverse for every element.

5. What is the significance of comparing these definitions?

Comparing these definitions allows us to understand the similarities and differences between these mathematical structures and how they can be applied in different contexts. It also helps us see the connections between these structures and how they build upon each other in abstract algebra.