Hydronium + Sodium Chloride Reaction

In summary, There is no reaction between H3O and NaCl that would result in the production of H2. The only way to produce H2 from an acid is through a reaction with a metal, not through electrolysis.
HelloCthulhu
Hello again forum!

I'm doing a few experiments at home with a protonated saline solution and need some assistance. What is the reaction between the hydronium ion and sodium chloride. I think it's:

H30(+) + NaCl => H2 + H(+) + NaOH

but I'm not sure. :confused: Any advice would be great appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Consider H+. In order to get H2 from 2 of those, you'd also need 2 electrons. The only way I know of to get hydrogen gas from an acid is to react it with a metal, which easily provides the electrons it needs. That alone would prevent your proposed reaction from occurring.

Thanks for the response!

What if I used electrolysis? What would the reaction for H3O + NaCl be?

1. What happens when hydronium and sodium chloride react?

When hydronium (H3O+) and sodium chloride (NaCl) react, they form an acid-base neutralization reaction. The hydrogen ions from the hydronium combine with the hydroxide ions from the sodium chloride to form water (H2O), while the remaining ions (Na+ and Cl-) form sodium chloride salt.

2. Is the reaction between hydronium and sodium chloride endothermic or exothermic?

The reaction between hydronium and sodium chloride is exothermic, meaning that it releases heat energy. This is because the formation of the water molecules is a highly favorable and energetically stable process.

3. What are the products of the hydronium and sodium chloride reaction?

The products of the hydronium and sodium chloride reaction are water (H2O) and sodium chloride (NaCl). This is a type of acid-base neutralization reaction, where an acid (hydronium) and a base (sodium chloride) combine to form a salt and water.

4. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between hydronium and sodium chloride?

The chemical equation for the reaction between hydronium and sodium chloride is: H3O+ + NaCl → H2O + Na+ + Cl-. This equation represents the transfer of hydrogen ions from the hydronium to the chloride ions in sodium chloride, resulting in the formation of water and sodium chloride salt.

5. What are the applications of the hydronium and sodium chloride reaction in real life?

The hydronium and sodium chloride reaction has various applications in different industries. One of the most common applications is in the production of hydrochloric acid, which is used in the production of various chemicals and in industrial processes. It is also used in water treatment to neutralize acidic water and make it safe for consumption. Additionally, the reaction is used in the production of sodium hydroxide, which is a versatile chemical used in the manufacturing of soaps, paper, and other products.