Need a demonstration of constant motion and balanced forces

In summary, a high school physics teacher is looking for a way to demonstrate the concept of net force equaling zero when something is moving at a constant speed. They have tried using examples such as a parachutist, car, and airplane, but some students still struggle to understand. The teacher plans to do a demonstration using spring scales, masses, and pulleys to show balanced forces with an object at rest. They are also looking for ideas to demonstrate balanced forces with constant, uniform motion and are considering using a computer simulation or a sled or roller on a horizontal or inclined surface. However, the teacher is concerned that using different masses on the cart may confuse students. They also mention that all students are required to take physics, regardless of their
jamesnb
I'm a high school physics teacher and I need a way to demonstrate net force = zero when something is moving at a constant speed. Usually some get it right away, some don't care and a few just really can't get their mind around it. I tell them about the parachutist, their car going 60 mph in a straight line on a smooth road, and the airplane at level flight but some still insist more force needs to be applied to keep the airplane from falling out of the sky.
I'm doing a demonstration Monday which shows balanced forces with the object at rest using spring scales, masses and pulleys. I'm also doing accelerated motion with a motion detector, car, and a mass hanging over the table, tied to the car and the string going over a pulley. But I can't think of a way to show balanced forces with constant, uniform motion.
Any ideas? Even a computer simulation might help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesnb said:
...balanced forces with the object at rest using spring scales, masses and pulleys... But I can't think of a way to show balanced forces with constant, uniform motion.
Just take the whole arrangement that shows balanced forces with the object at rest, and move it at a constant velocity.

Thanks. Great idea and easy too.

As AT has observed the acceleration has to be zero.

Well you could have a sled or roller moving along a horizontal or inclined surface, with or without friction.

The weight balances the normal reaction and the pull force balances the friction.

All are directly measurable.

We did a lab Friday where they found the coefficient of kinetic friction by pulling a sled horizontally at a constant speed and using a spring scale to measure the applied force which of course is equal to the frictional force.
I'm not following the inclined plane. Wouldn't that cause the object to accelerate instead of move at a constant velocity?
In the past, I've used the cart on an inclined plane to show acceleration and I've used a cart on an inclined plane with weights and pulleys to keep the cart at rest and but I haven't put the cart in motion. I'm concerned if I have different masses on the cart they will get more confused.

Why an inclined plane?

It really depends how complicated you want your balanced system of forces to be.

The simplest is just two - the weight and the normal reaction on a horiz surface.

You can add friction and a traction force.

You can make it more complicated by inclining the plane.

It's just a matter of choice. If you do it several ways you can show the result is not a fluke but always the same, no matter how complicated.

You had mentioned horizontal or inclined. I was reading more into it. Thanks.
I do the inclined plane with the car at rest because there is a test problem with a similar drawing stating the car is at rest, what can you conclude about the forces? (they are balanced).
In the honors classes we get more into forces in two dimension but not much in the regular classes. Our state has decided all students must take physics so physics got less challenging.

Yes the problem here is that all students must take the same physics (or whatever), regardless of ability. This reduces it to the lowest common denominator, which satisfies no-one, (except perhaps one person).

go well

Studiot said:
physics (or whatever)

LOL physics (or what ever). True.

1. How can constant motion be demonstrated?

To demonstrate constant motion, you can use a simple experiment with a toy car and a flat surface. Place the car on the surface and give it a push. The car should move at a constant speed until it reaches the end of the surface, showing the concept of constant motion.

2. What is an example of balanced forces?

An example of balanced forces is a book resting on a table. The weight of the book is pulling it down towards the ground, while the table is pushing back up with an equal force. This results in the book being at rest, with no movement in any direction.

3. How can you visually represent balanced forces?

You can visually represent balanced forces by drawing a diagram with two arrows pointing in opposite directions and equal in length. These arrows represent the two balanced forces acting on an object, resulting in no movement.

4. What is the relationship between balanced forces and constant motion?

When an object is experiencing balanced forces, it will remain at rest or move at a constant speed in a straight line. This is because the forces acting on the object are equal and opposite, resulting in no acceleration or change in motion.

5. Can you give an example of an object in constant motion with balanced forces?

An example of an object in constant motion with balanced forces is a satellite orbiting the Earth. The gravitational force pulling the satellite towards the Earth is balanced by the centrifugal force pushing it away, resulting in the satellite maintaining a constant speed and orbit.