Uncertainty with sine of angles?

In summary: In order to calculate the derivative of a function, one must know the function's slope and the function's y-intercept. In this case, the function's slope is the sin(θ) and the function's y-intercept is zero. Therefore, the derivative of the function sin(θ) can be found by taking the derivative of the function with respect to θ and solving for θ:θ = (Δθ - sin(θ))/2
Rampant

Homework Statement

I'm in a Year 10 Physics class, and we have been doing an experiment about Snell's Law (θincident = θrefracted). The experimental design is fairly simple: a beam of light (from a ray box with a single slit in front of it) is shone into a glass block. The angles of the incident and refracted rays with respect to the normal are measured with an ordinary protractor.

The uncertainty of the angle measurements is 0.5° (halving the smallest measurement). However, we are asked to graph the sine of the incident angle against the sine of the refracted angle. The graphing part and subsequent analysis is simple and I need no help with that - it's the uncertainty of the sin that I'm having difficulties with. How do I calculate the uncertainty of the sine of an angle?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the uncertainty of the sine of the angle by finding the sine of the uncertainty of the angle. That was confusing, let me try again. I took the uncertainty of the angle and found the sine of that, but I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rampant said:

The uncertainty of the angle measurements is 0.5° (halving the smallest measurement).

Generally, the uncertainty in a quantity is given by YOUR best estimate. The statements about the uncertainty being half the smallest division etc are only guidelines.

However, we are asked to graph the sine of the incident angle against the sine of the refracted angle. The graphing part and subsequent analysis is simple and I need no help with that - it's the uncertainty of the sin that I'm having difficulties with. How do I calculate the uncertainty of the sine of an angle?

You will have to propagate your error. Consider the Taylor expansion: $$f(x+\Delta x) \approx f(x) + \frac{df}{dx}\Delta x$$ Then $$\Delta f \approx \frac{df}{dx}\Delta x$$

In your case, f = f(θ) = sinθ.

Rampant said:

Homework Statement

I'm in a Year 10 Physics class, and we have been doing an experiment about Snell's Law (θincident = θrefracted). The experimental design is fairly simple: a beam of light (from a ray box with a single slit in front of it) is shone into a glass block. The angles of the incident and refracted rays with respect to the normal are measured with an ordinary protractor.

The uncertainty of the angle measurements is 0.5° (halving the smallest measurement). However, we are asked to graph the sine of the incident angle against the sine of the refracted angle. The graphing part and subsequent analysis is simple and I need no help with that - it's the uncertainty of the sin that I'm having difficulties with. How do I calculate the uncertainty of the sine of an angle?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the uncertainty of the sine of the angle by finding the sine of the uncertainty of the angle. That was confusing, let me try again. I took the uncertainty of the angle and found the sine of that, but I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

Hi Rampant, Welcome to Physics Forums.

A pretty good estimate of the uncertainty can be found by evaluating the function at the max and min values of the given argument and then taking half the difference in values. In other words, in this case suppose that θ is the measured value and the uncertainty in the measurement is Δθ. Then:

##Δ = \left|\frac{sin(θ + Δθ) - sin(θ - Δθ)}{2}\right|##

should be a good estimate of the uncertainty in the sine of the angle θ.

EDIT: (I've assumed that your Year 10 physics class hasn't introduced calculus)

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the uncertainty of sine of an angle?

The formula for calculating the uncertainty of sine of an angle is δsinθ = |cosθ|δθ, where δsinθ is the uncertainty of sine, δθ is the uncertainty of the angle, and θ is the angle in radians.

2. How is uncertainty of sine of an angle related to the uncertainty of the angle itself?

The uncertainty of sine is directly proportional to the uncertainty of the angle. This means that as the uncertainty of the angle increases, the uncertainty of the sine also increases.

3. Can the uncertainty of sine of an angle be negative?

No, the uncertainty of sine of an angle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the range of possible values for the sine of the angle.

4. How does the uncertainty of sine of an angle affect calculations and measurements?

The uncertainty of sine of an angle should always be taken into consideration when performing calculations or making measurements involving angles. It can affect the accuracy and precision of the results, so it is important to properly account for the uncertainty.

5. How can the uncertainty of sine of an angle be reduced?

The uncertainty of sine of an angle can be reduced by increasing the precision of the angle measurements or by using more accurate instruments. It can also be reduced by taking multiple measurements and calculating an average value.