Being a professor where you want

In summary, when looking at the careers of successful physicists, it may seem like they all attended prestigious universities and immediately secured teaching positions at top schools. However, this is not entirely true as many successful physicists come from a variety of institutions and do not go straight from PhD to faculty. Additionally, faculty positions are advertised, although not always in the summer. The career path of physicists has changed significantly since the "golden age" of physics and it is unlikely that the same type of growth and opportunities will return. Thus, it is important for aspiring physicists to focus on their research and professional contacts, rather than solely relying on the reputation of their alma mater.
ZapperZ said:
I don't know why this would matter.

Our technicians here are unionized. They are employees. In many cases, I consider them as my colleagues because when I want to design something, I consult them. They attend our weekly meetings as everyone else. But just because I consider them "equal", they still have different pay grades, they are still not PIs, and we each have formally different titles.

Want more examples? Many faculty members don't distinguish themselves among each other. Assistant professors, associate professors, full professors, senior professors, etc...etc. We all consider ourselves equal. Using your logic, there should be any difference. Yet, the reality is, no matter how you feel about it, there are distinct differences, especially between tenured and non-tenured faculty! The reality is, there ARE significant differences in the status that the institution has granted, and what other agencies have granted, regardless of how you "feel" about it.

These graduate assistants can be unionized, or not. But they still do not hold the research grants, and they still are not PIs in the research initiated by their supervisors! That doesn't change no matter if you call Pluto a planet or not!

Zz

I was referring to the issue of whether being a graduate student is a job or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
I was referring to the issue of whether being a graduate student is a job or not.

Being a graduate student is not a job. You PAY the school to be there. Why is this so difficult to sink in?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Being a graduate student is not a job. You PAY the school to be there. Why is this so difficult to sink in?

Zz.

I guess we shall have to disagree on that point. I'd still appreciate your comment then on how your formal argument holds in the cases in which graduate students (or perhaps more legalistically - graduate research assistants) are unionized.

atyy said:
I guess we shall have to disagree on that point.

Disagree on what point? That graduates students have to PAY to attend graduate school? This is a point of debate and uncertainty?

I'd still appreciate your comment then on how your formal argument holds in the cases in which graduate students (or perhaps more legalistically - graduate research assistants) are unionized.

1. Faculty members are designated as "faculty members" by the school. They receive privileges that are reserved only to them. They are also recognized by other institutions such as DOE and NSF as being such, and are able to apply for the standard research grants, etc.

2. Graduate students are designated as "graduate students"! Even if they receive stipends either for their work at TA or from their supervisors at RA, they are still NOT considered as "faculty members" by both the educational institutions, and by grants institutions! They are not the same!

3. In many schools, graduate research assistants comes in many different forms. I went through my graduate work alongside someone from Turkey, who, even though he did work alongside of me, he got paid NOTHING by both our supervisor and the educational institutions. Why? Because he received support from his home country. So, do you consider him to have a job, and he should be "unionized"?! There are many instances where students, especially international students, pay their own way through graduate schools! Do you think they have a job, and should be unionized??!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

No I didn't. There were things they expected me to do for them and things I expected them to do for me.

The net financial transfer was from them to me.

The difference between that arrangement and my current job is in the magnitude of the transfer and the time spent on those two types of activities.

ZapperZ said:
Disagree on what point? That graduates students have to PAY to attend graduate school? This is a point of debate and uncertainty?

Yes, in my view, most graduate students in the sciences are paid, regardless of legal formalities as to what the pay is called.

ZapperZ said:
1. Faculty members are designated as "faculty members" by the school. They receive privileges that are reserved only to them. They are also recognized by other institutions such as DOE and NSF as being such, and are able to apply for the standard research grants, etc.

2. Graduate students are designated as "graduate students"! Even if they receive stipends either for their work at TA or from their supervisors at RA, they are still NOT considered as "faculty members" by both the educational institutions, and by grants institutions! They are not the same!

3. In many schools, graduate research assistants comes in many different forms. I went through my graduate work alongside someone from Turkey, who, even though he did work alongside of me, he got paid NOTHING by both our supervisor and the educational institutions. Why? Because he received support from his home country. So, do you consider him to have a job, and he should be "unionized"?! There are many instances where students, especially international students, pay their own way through graduate schools! Do you think they have a job, and should be unionized??!

I don't have a strong view as to whether they should or should not be unionized. But it appears, reagardless of my views, that some are, as the reports I linked in post #34 indicate. Do you hold that such graduate students are not having a job?

atyy said:
Yes, in my view, most graduate students in the sciences are paid, regardless of legal formalities as to what the pay is called.

Read carefully what I wrote. I said that THEY PAY, not ARE PAID, to attend graduate school. School isn't free.

I don't have a strong view as to whether they should or should not be unionized. But it appears, reagardless of my views, that some are, as the reports I linked in post #34 indicate. Do you hold that such graduate students are not having a job?

Correct. I do not consider them to be jobs. They have to do research work REGARDLESS if they get paid or not, and even if they do get compensation, regardless of WHO paid the compensation.

If the IRS treats them has having a regular job, then watch out! That tuition and fees waver will be taxed!

Do you know that priests, who live in rectories, have to pay taxes on their "rent free" living as if they were income? Want to treat graduate assistance as having regular jobs? Go right ahead, but be careful what you ask for!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Read carefully what I wrote. I said that THEY PAY, not ARE PAID, to attend graduate school. School isn't free.

But it is free, the net transfer is school -> student or graduate students.

In fact, your first post on this thread made the exact opposite point-

ZapperZ said:
Most physics graduate students DO NOT pay tuition and fees.

My two cents are that if you watched a graduate student and someone of similar age with a job for a week, you'd have trouble deciding which one "has a job" (apart from the wardrobe, maybe). So if it looks like a duck, and all that.

ParticleGrl said:
But it is free, the net transfer is school -> student or graduate students.

In fact, your first post on this thread made the exact opposite point-

Then you have picked and chose what you read about my post. If you read the following paragraph that I wrote in that SAME post, you would have noticed this:

ZapperZ said:
I do not consider them to be jobs. They have to do research work REGARDLESS if they get paid or not, and even if they do get compensation, regardless of WHO paid the compensation.

Here's how the sequence goes:

1. Student registers for research credit course.

2. Student has to PAY for that course, and pay to be enrolled at the school (fees).

3. Oh, student's tuition and fees are being paid for by another party! This party can be (i) the department, (ii) his/her supervisor, (iii) external agency (iv) parents, (v) home country, (vi) money from robbing a bank.

How is this similar to a regular job?

My two cents are that if you watched a graduate student and someone of similar age with a job for a week, you'd have trouble deciding which one "has a job" (apart from the wardrobe, maybe). So if it looks like a duck, and all that.

Not considering it to be "job" has nothing to do with not working or putting in effort. If you look at an assistant professor and compare him/her to an associate professor, you'd have the same trouble in deciding which one is which. But this certainly doesn't give you the ability to call them by the same title!

What you feel, what you see, and what you WISH for is distinctly different than what has been officially designated. It may not be fair, and it may not be what should be done, but unless you are able to change things, it is what it is NOW.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Here's how the sequence goes:

1. Student registers for research credit course.

2. Student has to PAY for that course, and pay to be enrolled at the school (fees).

3. Oh, student's tuition and fees are being paid for by another party! This party can be (i) the department, (ii) his/her supervisor, (iii) external agency (iv) parents, (v) home country, (vi) money from robbing a bank.

How is this similar to a regular job?

There are jobs in which the employer contributes to the cost of an education. Whether that contribution goes on the employee's W2 is a different matter, and varies from job to job.

For example http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf
"Education. Certain job-related education you provide to an employee may qualify for exclusion as a working condi-tion benefit. To qualify, the education must meet the same requirements that would apply for determining whether the employee could deduct the expenses had the employee paid the expenses. Degree programs as a whole do not necessarily qualify as a working condition benefit. Each course in the program must be evaluated individually for qualification as a working condition benefit. The education must meet at least one of the following tests.

The education is required by the employer or by law for the employee to keep his or her present salary, status, or job. The required education must serve a bona fide business purpose of the employer.

The education maintains or improves skills needed in the job.

However, even if the education meets one or both of the above tests, it is not qualifying education if it:

Is needed to meet the minimum educational require-ments of the employee's present trade or business, or

Is part of a program of study that will qualify the employee for a new trade or business."

I give up. You may call it a cow if you like. It doesn't change a single thing.

Zz.

atyy said:
There are jobs in which the employer contributes to the cost of an education. Whether that contribution goes on the employee's W2 is a different matter, and varies from job to job.
That is completely off topic. This thread is not about businesses that provide educational benefits to their employees. The rules you cited do not pertain to qualified educational institutions. You need to look at IRS publication 970 for that little bit of tax law. Even that little bit of tax law is also off topic. This thread also is not about whether graduate students have a "job".

This thread has migrated very far from the original topic. Keep the discussion on topic or this thread will be closed.

Rika said:
It's not such a bad idea. If we want effective higher education, only 10-20% of society should be enrolled in it. Rest should get solid general education and then high quality vocational training. Otherwise everything will go "boom".

The problem with your view is who gets to decide which elements of society can pursue higher education. There is a strongly held view that all people who have the desire, the will and the ability to do so should have the option of pursing higher education open to them.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Being a graduate student is not a job. But being a "teaching assistant" or "research assistant" is and that is what is being discussed here.

(When I was a graduate student, my tuition, room and board, etc. was payed by the college (or Defense Department) through fellowships and assistantships. I had slightly MORE money when I completed my Ph.D. than I did when I started it.)

HallsofIvy said:
Being a graduate student is not a job. But being a "teaching assistant" or "research assistant" is and that is what is being discussed here.

(When I was a graduate student, my tuition, room and board, etc. was payed by the college (or Defense Department) through fellowships and assistantships. I had slightly MORE money when I completed my Ph.D. than I did when I started it.)

So why are they given stipends and not salaries? Why are they often not given benefits as the regular employee at that same institutions? Did you or someone had to pay on you behalf to the institution for you to work when you were a faculty member?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So why are they given stipends and not salaries? Why are they often not given benefits as the regular employee at that same institutions? Did you or someone had to pay on you behalf to the institution for you to work when you were a faculty member?

Zz.

Every US grad program I've seen offers health and dental benefits as well as privileges like subsidized housing, does this not count? That is better than any "official job" I've ever had.

Zz, I really don't see the grounds to your objections of calling what US grad students do as a "job"("a regular activity performed in exchange for payment" according to wiki). They do services to the university/their adviser in exchange for money and tuition waivers. Would grad students still get stipends and tuition waivers if they did NOT complete their ~20 hours of teaching/research assistant obligations? I don't think so.

Also,
ZapperZ said:
It's not a point of debate or uncertainty. According to AIP, only 1% of physics PhD students in the US are self-funded, the rest are paid as teaching or research assistants: http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/bach/figure5b.htm

What you are saying might hold for Masters students, but not PhD students.

As a loosely-related anecdote, I received what you would call a "stipend" during my undergraduate study in my country on top of a tuition waiver, like what many US grad students perceive. My only obligation to maintain that "stipend" was to maintain satisfactory academic progress (being in a low income bracket was also required). However, all the official documents I have on the matter address my stipend as "BECA SALARIO" which literally translates into "SALARY AWARD". Since I literally receive a SALARY and not a STIPEND, does this mean I have a job?

Last edited:
D H said:
This thread has migrated very far from the original topic. Keep the discussion on topic or this thread will be closed.

And so it goes.