Calc book for reviewing calc I-III

• Thread starter cjv998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the person is looking for a book to brush up on their math and physics skills, specifically in calculus. They mention different books that have been recommended, but they are looking for something with real-world problems and helpful explanations. They also mention some online resources and books that they have found to be useful, such as Benjamin Crowell's book and the books by Thomas, Finney, Anton, and Stewart. They also mention the possibility of using The Theoretical Minimum by Susskind for their self-study. They advise against using the Larson book for self-study due to its lack of explanation, but suggest it may be useful for practice problems. They also mention the website tutorial.math.lamar.edu as a good resource for calculus
cjv998
Hi everyone. I got my BS in physics 5 years ago, and I've gotten the urge to brush up on my math and physics, as I haven't used it much since graduating.

I'm looking for a book that I can use to brush up on calc I - III. I really want a book that is heavy on real-world problems (I'm thinking science- or engineering-related problems). Spivak gets mentioned a lot here, but I get bored with proofs, so I don't think it's for me. I used the Stewart book back in college, but I don't remember a whole lot about it. I've also seen the Larson, Anton, and Thomas books get mentioned as "standard" calc textbooks. I've bought the Schaum's outline for Calculus (and diff eq), but they are both just so dry and dull.

Actually, I'm looking at the Google Books preview of the Stewart book, and it contains a lot of real-world problems. Why do people hate the Stewart book so much?

So, any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the Kline book you mentioned, and it may be a good bet.

For self study/review...I would avoid the Larson book like the plague. My school uses Larson books for all of the math from Elementary Algebra up to Calc III, and they're awful. They offer very little in the way of actual explanations of the theory behind the subjects. It's more like "here's an example of an incredibly simple problem, and we will now assume that you can solve problems that are 10 times more difficult."

If you're just looking for a book with a lot of exercises, the Larson books are good. Some of the exercises are very challenging, and they do progress in difficulty in each section quite well. The exercises in each section start with simpler, basic problems, and move up through sets of problems with each concept contained in the section. Then each section ends with a set of problems that incorporate all of the concepts from the section, as well as a set of word problems, some of which are quite challenging.

However, many other books offer similar sets of exercises, but couple them with good explanations.

Here is a free book online from Benjamin Crowell (is he the same fellow here on PF?) that covers single variable calculus. At a first glance it looks like it has some interesting problems for a physicist:

http://www.lightandmatter.com/calc/

Another book that might hit the right spot for a physicist looking at math, more at the calc III level and beyond, is the book by James nearing:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

I have not read my final idea (and it isn't free), but The Theoretical Minimum by Susskind looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/046502811X/?tag=pfamazon01-20Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'll be avoiding the Larson book. I have ran across the stuff by Benjamin Crowell before, but I forgot about it. I have been considering getting The Theoretical Minimum as well, it does sound interesting.

A "Larson" authored textbook of Calculus would not be awful. It is adequate for review of concepts and for exercises. I used an older version of one of their Calculus books. A better book, although limited to single-variable, is a James Stewart Calculus textbook, which seems to be very good on explaining the concepts. Another book not quite as good, but could help fill in some of the concepts is a Howard Anton book on Calculus, a really thick book that includes the multivariable stuff.

1. What topics are covered in the "Calc book for reviewing calc I-III"?

The book covers all the fundamental topics of calculus, including limits, derivatives, integrals, and their applications. It also includes more advanced topics such as sequences, series, and multivariable calculus.

2. Is the book suitable for self-study or is it meant for classroom use?

The book is designed for both self-study and classroom use. It includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students understand and apply the concepts on their own. It can also be used as a supplement to a calculus course.

3. Does the book include solutions to the practice problems?

Yes, the book includes solutions to all the practice problems. This allows students to check their work and get a better understanding of the concepts.

4. Are there any online resources available for the "Calc book for reviewing calc I-III"?

Yes, there is an online companion website for the book that includes additional practice problems, interactive quizzes, and video tutorials. These resources can be accessed by purchasing a code or through a subscription.

5. Can the book be used as a review for college entrance exams or standardized tests?

Yes, the book covers all the topics typically included in college entrance exams or standardized tests such as the AP Calculus exams. It also includes challenging practice problems to help students prepare for these exams.