How accessible is the Peskin and Schroeder textbook?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for textbooks and resources for learning Quantum Field Theory (QFT). The main question is about the accessibility and difficulty of the Peskin and Schroeder textbook, with additional questions about its level of abstraction and usefulness for self-study. Several other resources are recommended, including books by Mandl and Shaw, Srednicki, Banks, Zee, Klauber, and Aitchison and Hey, as well as Sidney Coleman's course notes. The conversation also includes a request for an administrator to move the discussion to a different section and a comment about the appropriateness of posting in the "Learning Materials" section.
lizzie96
**Please can an administrator move this to the "Maths and Physics Learning Materials" section- I can't post there for some reason. Thank you!**

Hello,

I am interested in learning some more technical Quantum Mechanics, and was wondering how accessible the Peskin and Schroeder textbook is as it seems to be the most popular on university courses.

Does it show you how to derive important results in step-by-step detail, or is the reader required to fill in lots of gaps?
Is it significantly easier/harder than other textbooks on QFT?
Is it very abstract or does it link back to lots of physical examples?
How good is it for self-study?
What level of physics knowledge does it assume?
Do I need to be familiar with any extra maths not taught at undergraduate level?

Thank you for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peskin and Schroeder has many good qualities, but I wouldn't want to use it as an introduction to the subject. The book by Mandl and Shaw is IMO a lot easier.

I recommend the book by Srednicki, draft version available for free download from his website.

In my on-off attempts to get to grips with QFT I bought a couple of books including Peskin and Schroeder.

It's NOT the place to start.

I would start with QFT dymytsified:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071543821/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Then Zee's book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691140340/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Next I rather liked - Banks - Modern Quantum Theory - A Concise Introduction
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521850827/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Srednicki is good too - but there was something about Banks I liked - it seemed to get to the heart of it.

Only after that would I have a go at Peskin and Schroeder.

Also it will pay to really come to grips with renormalisation beforehand- I found the following VERY helpful and have gone through it a number of times:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0212049.pdf

Thanks
Bill

lizzie96 said:
I am interested in learning some more technical Quantum Mechanics ...

Is it significantly easier/harder than other textbooks on QFT?

Do you mean quantum mechanics, or do you mean quantum field theory? If you do not already know quantum mechanics on, say, the level of "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths, then I recommend against trying to learn quantum field theory.

Also, from this thread,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4605167#post4605167

I also would say that you need to tackle more special relativity before trying quantum field theory.

Last edited:
Thank you for the recommendations- I'll look at those instead of Peskin and Schroeder.

Yes, I meant QFT rather than quantum mechanics. I've read Griffith's textbook and a couple of other ones at a similar level, and I'm currently about 2/3 through Schutz's GR textbook, so I also have (very basic) knowledge of SR and GR now. I'm planning on finishing that before I start reading QFT, but I will also try to make sure I study some more Special Relativity.

lizzie96 said:
**Please can an administrator move this to the "Maths and Physics Learning Materials" section- I can't post there for some reason. Thank you!**

To clarify: the "Learning Materials" forums are for actual learning materials (written for PF), or links to them elsewhere on the web; not for requests for such materials, or for requests or discussions about books (for which we have this forum and its subforums).

Although I am a bit skeptical about how you have mastered special relativity and the math required beyond a-levels to start working on QFT in a little over 2 months (the last time you posted asking advice on where to start on special relativity).

I will give a recommendation of Sidney Coleman's course notes from physics 253 for anyone else looking for good QFT notes
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.5013

1. How easy is it to understand the language used in the Peskin and Schroeder textbook?

The language used in the Peskin and Schroeder textbook is technical and may be challenging for those without a strong background in physics. However, the authors do provide clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the content.

2. Are the concepts in the textbook presented in a logical and organized manner?

Yes, the concepts in the Peskin and Schroeder textbook are presented in a logical and organized manner. The book follows a clear progression from basic concepts to more advanced topics, making it easy for readers to follow along.

3. Is the textbook accessible for both beginner and advanced readers?

While the Peskin and Schroeder textbook is primarily aimed at advanced readers, it can also be useful for beginners. The authors provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject and include helpful appendices for additional background information.

4. Does the textbook include visual aids and diagrams to aid in understanding?

Yes, the Peskin and Schroeder textbook includes numerous visual aids and diagrams to aid in understanding. These are especially helpful for visual learners and can help readers better grasp complex concepts.

5. Are there any supplemental materials or resources available for the textbook?

Yes, there are several supplemental materials and resources available for the Peskin and Schroeder textbook. These include online lectures, problem sets, and solutions manuals, which can be helpful for further understanding and practice.