Tips for Self-Studying Physics Without Attending College

In summary, a mechanical engineering student wants to switch to the pure physics field and is seeking advice on how to effectively study all the BS physics portions in one year. They plan to stay home for a year after completing their engineering degree to do this. The speaker suggests using online resources such as YouTube and forums, and recommends skimming through multiple textbooks to find the best one for their learning style.
kini.Amith
Hi, i am mechanical engineering bachelors student. I would like to switch to the pure physics field and for that, i have to study all the BS physics portions in one year, on my own ( I am staying home for an year after completing my engg degree to do this). Any advice on how I should do this effectively? Has anyone here studied physics on his own without attending a college for a physics degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not been in your situation, but I have had to study without going to lectures due to work..

I guess you have already had electromagnetism, thermodynamics and classical mechanics. So, I think you should be more specific about what subjects you have to learn, but I can give you some advice anyhow:

1. Youtube is your friend. Yale, Khanacademy, MIT and others have some great lectures there.
2. This forum is your friend.
3. Pick up more than one textbook on the subject you are trying to learn, and skim through them. You will usually find that you prefer one over the other.

Likes 1 person

1. How can I effectively learn physics on my own?

Effective learning of physics on your own requires a few key things: self-discipline, a structured approach, and access to reliable resources. Start by creating a study schedule and sticking to it. Use textbooks, online resources, and practice problems to structure your learning and reinforce your understanding. It can also be helpful to find a study group or tutor to discuss difficult concepts and ask questions.

2. Do I need a strong math background to learn physics on my own?

A strong foundation in math is essential for learning physics, but it doesn't have to be perfect. If you have a basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, you can still learn physics on your own. However, you may need to spend some extra time reviewing and practicing math concepts as they come up in your physics studies.

3. What are the best resources for learning physics on my own?

There are many excellent resources available for self-studying physics, including textbooks, online videos and lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and the Physics Classroom. It can be helpful to use a combination of resources to get a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning physics on my own?

Staying motivated can be a challenge when learning on your own, but there are a few strategies that can help. Set achievable goals for yourself and track your progress. Find a study buddy or join a study group to stay accountable and motivated. Take breaks when you need them and celebrate your successes. Remember why you're learning physics and the exciting real-world applications it has.

5. Is it possible to learn advanced physics topics on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn advanced physics topics on your own with dedication and hard work. However, it can be more challenging without the guidance of a teacher or professor. Make sure to thoroughly understand the foundational concepts before moving on to more advanced topics. Utilize resources such as textbooks, lectures, and online forums to supplement your learning and seek help when needed.