Software for 3D geometry illustrations?

In summary, the person is looking for software that allows them to interactively play with 3d geometry without needing to know the underlying mathematical equations. They are interested in creating shapes such as wormholes or gravitational pulls, and have found some potential options such as Raumgeometrie, GeoGebra, and Atlas 2. They are also considering using programs like Maya or 3Ds Max, although they acknowledge that these may be more complex than what they need. Other forum members suggest using graphics programs like SketchUp, Gimp, or Inkscape, but the person is still unsure of the best option.
ozg
Dear all,

I am looking for an interactive software that can let me play with 3d geometry. I apologize, as I am not sure of the right technical term of the sorts of shapes I am interested to work with. I am not a mathematician or physicist, but rather use these as philosophical metaphors and illustrations. I think that what I need is called either differential geometry or topology.

You can see examples of what I mean here http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-worm-hole-image15885270

Basically, I need to be able to draw a plane in 3d space and then add singularity points to crate this vortex shape, or gravitational pull and change from 1 bifurcation point to 2, etc. Does this makes sense?

The closest thing I found is this software http://raumgeometrie.de/drupal/ and I was wondering if you might know others, preferably open source. GeoGebra is a good example of another useful software that does not require technical knowledge, but it's only for 2d shapes (the beta does 3d, but nothing like I need).

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hhhhmmm...this is the Math and Science Software forum...I am thinking most of us are familiar with software to create figures like that knowing the underlying mathematical equation...but, it sounds like you do not know such equations nor care to get into such technical "details", is this correct?

Mathematics-based graph creation software are plenty: octave, maxima, euler, asymptote, etc., etc., etc.

I am thinking you are looking for software that allows you to draw whatever you want, instead? some graphics program where you can "fake" these surfaces, forms that you are envisioning?

I wonder if you can use something like SketchUp, or Gimp or Inkscape.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Thanks gsal! Yes, you are right. I need something that let's me play with the shapes without the knowledge of the underlying details. Further investigation seems to point to Atlas 2 as a possible one; but I guess I can simply try to play with Maya or 3Ds Max which are total overkill for my needs, but still it looks like all the others require mathematical knowledge in order to plot shapes.

1. What is "Software for 3D geometry illustrations"?

"Software for 3D geometry illustrations" refers to computer programs or applications that are specifically designed for creating three-dimensional representations of geometric shapes, objects, or designs. These software tools use mathematical algorithms and computer graphics techniques to generate and manipulate 3D models, allowing users to visualize and present complex geometric concepts in a more realistic and interactive way.

2. What are the main features of "Software for 3D geometry illustrations"?

The main features of "Software for 3D geometry illustrations" typically include a user-friendly interface, a variety of built-in tools for creating and manipulating 3D objects, support for importing and exporting different file formats, and the ability to add textures, lighting, and other visual effects to enhance the realism of the illustrations. Some software may also offer advanced features such as animation, simulation, and virtual reality capabilities.

3. How is "Software for 3D geometry illustrations" used in scientific research?

"Software for 3D geometry illustrations" is widely used in scientific research as it allows scientists and researchers to visualize and analyze complex geometric structures and data in a more tangible and interactive way. This can be particularly useful in fields such as engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology where 3D representations can provide valuable insights and aid in understanding complex concepts and phenomena.

4. What are some popular examples of "Software for 3D geometry illustrations"?

Some popular examples of "Software for 3D geometry illustrations" include AutoCAD, SketchUp, Blender, Maya, and SolidWorks. These software tools are widely used in various industries, including architecture, engineering, product design, and animation, for creating 3D illustrations and models. There are also some specialized software programs specifically designed for scientific and educational purposes, such as Geogebra, Molecular Maya, and Avogadro.

5. Do I need any special skills to use "Software for 3D geometry illustrations"?

While some basic understanding of geometry and computer graphics may be helpful, most "Software for 3D geometry illustrations" offer user-friendly interfaces and intuitive tools that make it easy for users to create 3D illustrations without extensive technical knowledge. However, for more advanced features and techniques, some level of expertise and training may be required. Many software programs also offer tutorials, online resources, and community forums to help users get started and improve their skills.