Free Drawing Program for Math & Physics Books

In summary, there is a widely used free drawing program that is used in conjunction with LaTeX for math books and physics text.
kq6up
Is there a widely used free drawing program that is used in conjunction with LaTeX for math books and physics text?

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I would look into tikz.

There is also asymptote.

Likes 1 person
For geometrical figures I believe geogebra [1] would be very suitable. I remember using the old xfig [2] for my LateX work way back, but I guess it hasn't evolved much since then.

[1] http://www.geogebra.org/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfig

Likes 2 people
Ahhh, I remember xfig.

Chris

gnuplot?

Filip Larsen said:
For geometrical figures I believe geogebra [1] would be very suitable.

This Geogebra seems to be very good. Better than Mathematica for my needs.
Thanks Filip.

I am playing with xfig as I used it a long time ago. Is this able to do perspectives to make 3-d looking images, or would I just have to rely on my freehand skills.

Geogebra seems really cool. Can that output be incorporated into LaTeX?

Chris

XY-pic is another possibility, it is invoked from within the tex document to draw diagrams etc.

Likes 1 person
kq6up said:
Geogebra seems really cool. Can that output be incorporated into LaTeX?

I have never tried it myself, but according to the manual [1] it should be possible both to annotate your drawings with LaTeX equations as well as export it to formats usable with LaTeX. Also, the sharelatex site [2] has a nice little video on how to use Geogebra to generate LaTeX figures [3] that seems to explain it well.

[1] http://wiki.geogebra.org/en/LaTeX
[2] https://www.sharelatex.com/
[3]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to couple LaTeX and WordPad?

vjacheslav said:
Is it possible to couple LaTeX and WordPad?

No need of that. You can use MS Word and it's equation editor.

WordPad isn't the same as MS Word, and, besides not so suitable, as We wish.

There is a plugin for OpenOffice that allows you to use LaTeX. It has been a while since I have used it, so Google is your friend on that one.

Regards,
Chris

If you need engine on asm and interface on turbo pas
Please contact Us.

1. What is a free drawing program and how can it be used for math and physics books?

A free drawing program is a software that allows users to create and manipulate digital drawings or diagrams. It can be used for math and physics books as a tool to visually represent concepts and equations, making them easier to understand and comprehend.

2. What are the benefits of using a free drawing program for math and physics books?

Using a free drawing program for math and physics books can help students visualize abstract concepts and make connections between different topics. It can also save time and resources compared to hand-drawn illustrations, as well as provide a more professional and polished look to the book.

3. Are there any recommended free drawing programs for math and physics books?

Yes, there are multiple free drawing programs that are suitable for creating illustrations for math and physics books. Some popular options include GeoGebra, Inkscape, and Desmos.

4. Can a free drawing program be used for both math and physics books?

Yes, a free drawing program can be used for both math and physics books as it offers a variety of tools and features that can be used for creating diagrams, graphs, and other visual aids for both subjects.

5. Are there any limitations to using a free drawing program for math and physics books?

While free drawing programs offer many useful features, they may not have the advanced capabilities and precision of paid software. Additionally, some programs may have a learning curve and require some time to become comfortable with the tools and features.