Calculate Flux of Vector Field F through Unit Sphere | Divergence Theorem

In summary, the Divergence Theorem can be used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a unit sphere centered at the origin with the outward orientation.
cronxeh
Gold Member
Hey can you guys check my answer.

Question: Use the Divergence Theorem to calculate the Flux of the vector field F(x,y,z)=xi + y^2j - zk through the unit sphere centered at the origin with the outward orientation

Solution: div(F) = 1 + 2y - 1 = 2y
Flux = [tex]\int_{W} div(F) dV = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} 2y \ dxdydz = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} 2y \ dydz = \int_{0}^{1} 1 \ dz = 1 [/tex]

So for another method would I have to use [tex]r=x^2 + y^2 + z^2[/tex] obtain the [tex]dr=2x + 2y + 2z[/tex] and do [tex] \int_{R} F dr = \int_{S} (xi + y^2j -zk)(2x+2y+2z)dA=\int_{S} (2x^2 + 2y^3 - 2z^2)dA = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} 2/3 + 2y^3 - 2z^2 \ dydz = \int_{0}^{1} 2/3 + 1/2 - 2z^2 dz = 2/3 + 1/2 - 2/3 = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Is this method incorrect or was the first one incorrect? Are they both wrong? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ermm... wouldn't it be easiest to use spherical coordinates?

edit: and in that second method, why are you calculating a line integral?

gauss' theorem doesn't have line integrals in there at all.

look up what gauss' theorem tell you...

i imagine you wanted to solve the problem the easy (integrating the divergence) way and the harder (what integrating the divergence is equal to :wink: ) way.

so to answer your question... both methods are incorrect! :eek:

Last edited:
yeah, the way you have written the limits of integration, you are taking the divergence of that vector field through the unit cube in your first method. (haven't bothered with your second method--get your first one fixed!)

Do you have any idea what regions you're supposed to be integrating over, for either calculation?

Hurkyl said:
Do you have any idea what regions you're supposed to be integrating over, for either calculation?

and is it just me or is he trying to use stokes' theorem in that second attempt?

:eek:

edit: no...closer look tells me that... it's not even that.

your second method is way off base.

look back at your textbook and see the two ways of calculating flux.

Last edited:
The second method is surely supposed to be the definition of flux: [itex]\iint_{\delta R} \vec{F} \cdot \hat{n} \, dA[/itex].

Hurkyl said:
The second method is surely supposed to be the definition of flux: [itex]\iint_{\delta R} \vec{F} \cdot \hat{n} \, dA[/itex].

yeah, that's the other--probably harder--way to do the problem. except... it looks like he was trying to use a line integral or...something. :confused:

Ok I just realized my mistake for divergence method ( I hope )

div F = 2y

Should the flux be: [tex]\int_{W} div(F) \ dV =[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \int_{-sqrt(1-x^2)}^{sqrt(1-x^2)} \int_{-sqrt(1-x^2-y^2)}^{sqrt(1-x^2-y^2)} 2y \ dzdydx[/tex]

And in spherical coordinates:

Flux = [tex]\int_{0}^{2pi} \int_{0}^{pi} \int_{0}^{1} 2y \ p^2 \ sin(phi) \ dp \ dphi \ dtheta[/tex]

Yah, but don't forget you should convert y to spherical coordinates too.

that would be 2y ->> 2(p)sin(theta)sin(phi) ?

Because in spherical coordinates

x= ρcosθsinφ
y= ρsinθsinφ
z= ρcosφ

yeah, good going.

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions with multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions with two or more variables, and involves the study of surfaces and volumes in three-dimensional space.

2. What are the key concepts in Multivariable Calculus?

Some key concepts in Multivariable Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector-valued functions, and vector calculus. These concepts are used to analyze and solve problems involving functions with multiple variables.

3. How is Multivariable Calculus used in real life?

Multivariable Calculus has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems that involve multiple variables, such as fluid flow, electrical circuits, and optimization problems.

4. What are some tips for succeeding in Multivariable Calculus?

Some tips for succeeding in Multivariable Calculus include understanding the underlying concepts, practicing problem-solving techniques, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus and linear algebra.

5. Are there any online resources for Multivariable Calculus help?

Yes, there are many online resources available for Multivariable Calculus help, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive quizzes. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes.