Designing Piping Systems for Oxygen Service: Practical References

In summary, In order to design an oxygen piping system that is safe, practical, and rust-free, you should look into the CGA pamphlets and the NFPA codes.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Does anyone, by chance, happen to have some good, practical references in the design and preparation of piping systems for use in pure oxygen service? My ASTM references are about as close to worthless as it can get. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Fred. Yep, ASTM doesn't cover this. The large industrial gas companies, ie: Air Liquide, Air Products, BOC, Praxair, etc... have their own research and development for oxygen systems and talk quite to each other about their own findings regarding oxygen safety. They even share pertinant data regarding incidents that occur due to oxygen related accidents. To get this data out into the public domain, the Compressed Gas Association is used as a governing body for compressed gas systems. Most of what they do is not legally binding such as the NFPA codes, but some of it actually is, such as testing for DOT cylinders and a few other things. Anyway, the guidlines you want to look for are in the CGA pamphlets.

To check through the available pamphlets, http://www.cganet.com/Publication.asp?mode=pb
The one you probably will be most interested in for designing oxygen piping systems is G-4.4. You can purchase it online http://www.cganet.com/publication_detail.asp?id=G-4.4
There are a number of other ones you may be interested in on that list, including the general one, G-4.

As a side note, NASA also does quite a bit of oxygen testing which it has published, though I generally don't use that and couldn't tell you where to find it off hand. I'm sure it's available. The NFPA codes may also have some requirements, I'm not absolutely sure if they do or not (have to look).

If you need specific help in designing an oxygen system, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Q. Much appreciated. That's exactly what I was looking for. I do have a couple of NASA technical briefs which provide some good information, but they are a bit old and are noted as obsolete. I have not been able to find their replacements as of yet.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have used oxygen in diving tanks for years. The main concern is that petroleum products are not used. This means using viton o-rings or something that does not contain petroleum products. Also the inside of the pipes or tanks must be free of rust and moisture so oxidation is not a problem.

I know that you have to be very careful.

I heard of one case where a stainless steel pipe ignited because of a pressure
burst. Because of the pure oxygen in the pipe, the stainless steel had a much
lower ignition temperature than in air and the pressure burst was able to raise the
temperature enough to ignite the pipe's ID.

1. What are the key considerations when designing piping systems for oxygen service?

The key considerations when designing piping systems for oxygen service include material compatibility, cleanliness, pressure and flow requirements, and safety measures. It is important to use materials that are compatible with oxygen, such as stainless steel or aluminum, and to ensure that the system is free of any contaminants that could react with oxygen. Proper pressure and flow calculations should also be made to ensure the system can handle the demands of oxygen use. Safety measures, such as proper ventilation and fire prevention, should also be taken into account.

2. How can I ensure the cleanliness of the piping system for oxygen service?

To ensure the cleanliness of the piping system for oxygen service, it is important to follow strict cleaning and purging procedures. All components, including pipes, fittings, and valves, should be thoroughly cleaned and dried before installation. In addition, the system should be purged with an inert gas, such as nitrogen, to remove any remaining contaminants. Regular maintenance and cleaning should also be performed to prevent buildup of any contaminants or debris.

3. What are the common materials used for piping systems in oxygen service?

The most commonly used materials for piping systems in oxygen service are stainless steel and aluminum. These materials are highly compatible with oxygen and are able to withstand the high pressures and temperatures associated with oxygen use. In some cases, copper may also be used, but it must be properly cleaned and passivated to prevent any reactions with oxygen.

4. How do I determine the appropriate pressure rating for my oxygen piping system?

The appropriate pressure rating for an oxygen piping system depends on several factors, including the maximum operating pressure, temperature, and flow rate of the system. It is important to consult industry standards and guidelines, such as those provided by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), to determine the appropriate pressure rating for your specific system. In addition, proper pressure testing should be performed during installation to ensure the system can safely handle the intended pressure.

5. What safety precautions should I take when designing a piping system for oxygen service?

When designing a piping system for oxygen service, it is important to take several safety precautions. This includes using materials and components that are compatible with oxygen, properly cleaning and purging the system, and ensuring proper ventilation and fire prevention measures are in place. It is also important to have emergency shut-off valves and proper labeling of the system to prevent any accidents or mishaps. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure the safety of the system.