Combinatorics-next problem with numbers

• Thread starter Jurij
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult task in combinatorics that involves creating 7-digit numbers with at least 2 different digits in each pair. The person is unsure of how to solve it and believes the answer is 5^6, but is seeking clarification and help from others. They also mention that their English may not be very good.
Jurij
Hi. It's one more hard task from cominatorics
We have 5 digit. How many 7-digit numbers can we create that each two of them have at least 2 different digit?
Could you help me?
I think that the answer is 5^6 but don't know how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could anybody help me? Please, give me at least hint.

Let's start with this: Why do you think the answer is 56?

OK.
I don't know if you understand the task. The numbers have to have at least 2 different digit on some position. For example when we have 5 digit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, numbers 1234512 and 1234545 or numbers 5555555 and 1551555 are good.

When we have 2-digit numbers we have 5^1=16 numbers and 5 that each two of them have at least 2 different digit.
When we have 3-digit numbers we have 5^3=125 numbers and 5^2=25 that each two of them have at least 2 different digit because each two of 2-digit numbers have at least 1 different digit and when we add third number we get 25.
So for 7-digit numbers we have 5^6.

Last edited:
HOw is this different from yiour last post? and your english is a bit off.

"can we create that each two of them have at least 2 different digit?" ??!??!

Yes. you're right. My english isn't very good. But it should be clear now. Could anyone help me?

Is there something that you can't understand in the problem or you don't know how to do it?

1. What is combinatorics and why is it important in mathematics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects. It is important because it has applications in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and physics.

2. What is the "next problem with numbers" in combinatorics?

The "next problem with numbers" refers to the study of patterns and relationships between numbers and finding the next number in a sequence or series.

3. What are some common techniques used in combinatorics to solve problems?

Some common techniques used in combinatorics include permutations, combinations, and the use of various counting principles such as the multiplication and addition principles.

4. Can combinatorics be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, combinatorics can be applied to real-world problems such as analyzing voting systems, designing efficient computer algorithms, and predicting outcomes in sports tournaments.

5. What are some challenges that arise when working on combinatorics problems?

Some challenges in combinatorics include dealing with large numbers, finding efficient solutions to complex problems, and avoiding overcounting or undercounting possibilities.