Is there an easy way to find the radix r?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about figuring out the radix r of these two numbers: BEE)r = (2699)10; //the 10 means base 10 and (365)r = (194)10; The first number is in base 10 and the second number is in base 4. The conversation discusses how to figure out the radix for the two numbers and concludes with a suggestion on how to convert between bases.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

I'm suppose to figure out the radix r of these 2 numbers:
(BEE)r = (2699)10; //the 10 means base 10
Of course r has to be 16 because HEX is the only one with A-F
(365)r = (194)10;
Is there an easy way to figure out the radix here or do i just have to convert 194 to each of the bases and see which one works out?
Also if i wnated to convert
310.2 base 4 to octal, would i just divide by 8 as if u were going to convert a decimal to octal or would I first convert it to decimal by this method:
4^2 * 3 + 4^1x1 + 0 + .5 = 52.5 base 10 now divide by 8 and multiply by 1/8 to get the decimal part.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not so fast!
Just because a number has Bs and Es in it doesn't mean its Hexadecimal. It could be in any base from "15" up. In fact, I can look at this example and tell its not Hex. Both Decimal and Hex have Even base, thus an "even" number in one base would have to be even in the other. The decimal 2699 is Odd, while 'BEE' in Hex would be even, thus it can't be Hex. You'll have to figure out what it is.

For the (365)r = (194)10, I don't know any direct comparisons (doesn't mean there isn't one, though), but there are a couple of things you can do. First, since it has a '6' in it, the base can be no lower than "7", so start at that. Then, if the first 'digit' found is incorrect you can stop there and eliminate that base. Same with the second, third, etc., so you generally don't have to convert the whole number if it isn't correct. If it is the correct base, you'd wind up converting the whole thing.

Finally, it is easy to convert back and forth between bases 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. Simply find the binary for the first value, then take it into the second. Example:
310.2 in base (4) gives us:

3 => 11, 1 => 01, 0 => 00, and 2 => 10, so we have:

11,01,00.10 ie. "110100.10" and if we group these as an Octal, we have:

110,100.100 so the Octal would be:

If you wanted the Hex, you'd get:

0011,0100.1000 = 34.8

KM

Last edited:
That in the second paragraph above holds only when converting to some other base from base ten. Going the other way, the considerations are a little bit different.

KM

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks a lot man!

use polynomial expansion. you can expand out the number 365, for example, with radix r by saying 3*r^2 + 6*r + 5 = 194. Then you simply need to bring everything over to the left of the equation, so you get 3*r^2 + 6*r - 189 = 0. Then just use the quadratic formula to solve for r. :)

1. What is a radix r?

A radix r, also known as a base, is the number of unique digits or symbols used to represent numbers in a numeral system. For example, the decimal system has a radix r of 10 because it uses 10 unique digits (0-9) to represent numbers.

2. Why is finding the radix r important?

Knowing the radix r is important in various applications such as computer programming, cryptography, and data storage. It allows for efficient representation and manipulation of numbers in different numeral systems.

3. What is the easiest way to find the radix r?

The easiest way to find the radix r is to look at the number system itself. For example, in the decimal system, the radix r is 10. In the binary system, the radix r is 2. In some cases, the radix r may also be explicitly given or can be determined through mathematical calculations.

4. Can the radix r be any number?

Yes, the radix r can be any positive integer. However, in practical applications, the most commonly used radix r are 2 (binary), 8 (octal), 10 (decimal), and 16 (hexadecimal).

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts to find the radix r?

There are some tricks or patterns that can help determine the radix r in certain cases. For example, in the binary system, the number of digits used to represent a number can give a clue to the radix r. In general, however, the easiest and most reliable way to find the radix r is by understanding the underlying number system and its properties.