Red beans and rice in New Orleans

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the people of New Orleans smile when they talk about Monday because that is the day they eat red beans and rice.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know about his? Why do New Orleanians always smile when this is mentioned? Do they do something special or do they eat plain old beans and rice. And where does this Monday thing come from [I think it is on Mondays that they eat this]?

Physics news on Phys.org
We had chicken every sunday, and on mondays we always had meatloaf. Once in NO, I mentioned that to someone, and they looked horrified. Monday is always red beans and rice. Its just a regional thing. But its also very good/spicy.

The first time I tried sweet tea I about fell out of my chair. I like it but I couldn't believe that so many people would drink something sooooooo sweet. But I do love that southern cooking.

I have spent a good amount of time in the Southbut never made it to the NO area, so those traditions are unfamiliar.

I tried making sweet tea with the recipe that...hmm...was it Pattylou who provided the recipe? Or hypatia? Or...? Well, someone here posted it. On my first attempt, it was good, but a tad too sweet (and I added lemon, but it wasn't enough). I tried a second attempt tonight, to serve with the gumbo I'm making for dinner tomorrow (I'm having two of the post-docs I work with over for dinner...we're having an ecclectic dinner of Indian and Cajun). I don't think I'll be serving it though. I like it, but I'm not sure it's what anyone else would expect of iced tea. It's not quite sweet enough and too much lemon this time. :rolleyes: It tastes a bit more like lemonade with some tea flavor. I'll have to adjust the sugar and lemon to something between the amounts in my first two attempts on my third attempt.

Red beans and rice is tasty. It has spices added that are pretty yummy, though I seem to recall it being served with all the breakfast dishes, which was a bit odd for me (though great when I was getting a late breakfast that was more of a brunch).

Americans, can not make tea. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

After years of drinking heavily sweetened tea in the South, I am now just the opposite - I can't stand a bit of sugar in my iced tea. I have to have it plain.
but ooh, I love me some red beans and rice, oh yes! gumbo, too, with lots of okra. I even like pickled okra - yum!

I love okra, fired, pickled, but I don't like it in my gumbo. I used to grow okra when I lived in Houston. They get about 7 feet tall, they're a hibiscus and the flowers are very pretty.

Evo said:
I love okra, fired, pickled, but I don't like it in my gumbo. I used to grow okra when I lived in Houston. They get about 7 feet tall, they're a hibiscus and the flowers are very pretty.
I will have to talk my parents into growing some. Of course, the local deer population will go crazy over those flowers! Mom finds them munching on the hibiscus all the time.

What is the history of red beans and rice in New Orleans?

Red beans and rice have been a staple dish in New Orleans since the 19th century. It was originally a Monday meal, as this was traditionally laundry day and women would spend the day washing clothes, leaving little time to cook. Red beans and rice could be cooked slowly throughout the day and was a filling and inexpensive meal.

Why is red beans and rice considered a traditional dish in New Orleans?

Red beans and rice have been a part of New Orleans' rich culinary culture for centuries, and are considered a traditional dish because of their historical and cultural significance. The dish is often associated with New Orleans' Creole and Cajun cuisines, and has become a symbol of the city's unique food culture.

What are the main ingredients in red beans and rice?

The main ingredients in red beans and rice are red kidney beans, rice, and seasonings such as onions, celery, bell peppers, and spices like thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves. Meat is also commonly added, such as andouille sausage, ham, or smoked pork.

How is red beans and rice traditionally prepared in New Orleans?

Traditionally, red beans and rice is prepared by soaking the beans overnight and then cooking them slowly with the seasonings and meat. The rice is cooked separately and then added to the beans before serving. Some variations may include adding the rice directly to the beans during the cooking process.

What are some variations of red beans and rice in New Orleans?

Some variations of red beans and rice in New Orleans include using different types of beans, such as white beans or black-eyed peas, and adding different meats, such as chicken or beef. Some recipes may also incorporate additional vegetables, such as okra or tomatoes, or use different spices and seasonings to add unique flavors.