Calculate fugacicty of a certain subtance

• Thread starter shanx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the fugacity of a substance given temperature, pressure, compressibility, vapor pressure, molar volume, and isothermal compressibility. The approach suggested is to first find the reduced temperature and pressure and then use either charts or the virial equations depending on the density of the substance.
shanx
Hi everybody, :smile:
i have to calculate fugacicty of a certain subtance.

i am given temerature and pressure of a that substance and its compressiblity for the vapor phase.

i am also given its vapor pressure at the same temp., its molar volume, and its isothermal compressibilty at the same temp and i am told it is independent of pressure.

can anyone tell me how to approach this problem.

regards,
shanx

Engineering news on Phys.org
first find the reduced temp and press that will tell you whether its high density or low density if its high your charts if its low use the virial equations at least start there if you still don't know just ask and i can work it out for you.

Hi Shanx,

To calculate the fugacity of a substance, you can use the following equation:

f = P * γ * x

Where:
f = fugacity
P = pressure
γ = activity coefficient
x = mole fraction of the substance

To calculate the activity coefficient, you can use the following equation:

γ = f/φ

Where:
φ = fugacity coefficient

To calculate the fugacity coefficient, you can use the following equation:

φ = exp((Z - 1) * ln(Pc/P))

Where:
Z = compressibility factor
Pc = critical pressure of the substance
P = pressure

To find the compressibility factor, you can use the compressibility chart or the following equation:

Z = PV/RT

Where:
P = pressure
V = molar volume
R = gas constant
T = temperature

Once you have all the necessary values, you can plug them into the equations to calculate the fugacity of the substance. Remember to use consistent units for all the values.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the definition of fugacity?

Fugacity is a measure of the escaping tendency of a substance from a non-ideal mixture. It takes into account the non-ideal behavior of the substance, such as deviations from ideal gas behavior.

How is fugacity calculated?

Fugacity is calculated using the fugacity coefficient, which is a dimensionless quantity that describes the non-ideal behavior of a substance. The fugacity coefficient is multiplied by the partial pressure of the substance to obtain its fugacity.

What factors affect the fugacity of a substance?

The fugacity of a substance is affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition of the mixture it is in. It also depends on the intermolecular forces between the particles of the substance.

Why is fugacity important in thermodynamics?

Fugacity is important in thermodynamics because it is used to calculate the changes in free energy and entropy for non-ideal mixtures. It also helps in predicting the behavior of real substances under non-ideal conditions.

What are some applications of calculating fugacity?

Fugacity calculations are used in various industries, such as oil and gas, chemical manufacturing, and environmental engineering. It is used to design and optimize processes, estimate vapor-liquid equilibria, and predict the behavior of pollutants in the environment.