Exploring the Effects of Acidic Liquids on a 3 Inch Iron Stick

• Thread starter Jekertee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, if you put the iron stick in a baz jar and then immediately put it in an acidic solution, it will probably be worn down.
Jekertee
Ok, this is from the first's: :wink:

I have an iron stick of 3 inch long,
If I insert this stick into a baz jar then immediately insert it into an acidic (H2SO4 liq)
will that stick be worn out ?

How do I know it is worn ?

Thanks

Joan John

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean by worn?

The stick should change color in sulfuric acid. Iron (2) sulfate is green. Iron (3) sulfate is yellow. It would also create hydrogen gas, so the acidic solution would start bubbling.

You lost me at 'baz jar'...

It's the opposite of foobar? :smile:

These kinds of questions are killer. The expert and the questioner have no idea what either one is saying. Next, the questioner gets angry because the expert cannot figure out what s/he really means. You should see the questions on Evolution. Even some of the well educated people go off the chart once in a while.

* foo bar and baz are "standard names" for dummy functions in C coding examples.

Jekertee said:
Ok, this is from the first's: :wink:

I have an iron stick of 3 inch long,
If I insert this stick into a baz jar then immediately insert it into an acidic (H2SO4 liq)
will that stick be worn out ?

How do I know it is worn ?

Thanks

Joan John
Do you really want to do it with iron, or with Gold, Platinum, Rhodium, ecc. maybe? :wink:

ShawnD said:
Putting gold in a baz jar? You're a maniac! :eek:
Then I haven't grasped very well the term "baz jar". What does it mean?

Well if it is possible go for it.:biggrin:

The color looks seriously disgusting, I have watched it, I would not dare to report my projectmate's experiments with insertions of an iron stick into different jars on board for you to have a clearer analyses.

1. How does the acidity of a liquid affect a 3 inch iron stick?

The acidity of a liquid can have a corrosive effect on iron, causing it to rust and deteriorate over time. When exposed to acidic liquids, iron reacts with the oxygen and water in the liquid, forming iron oxide (rust) on the surface of the stick.

2. What are the potential risks of conducting this experiment?

There are several potential risks associated with this experiment, such as handling acidic liquids which can cause skin and eye irritation. There is also a risk of the iron stick breaking or splintering during the experiment, so it is important to wear appropriate protective gear and handle the materials carefully.

3. How can the effects of acidic liquids on the iron stick be measured?

The effects of acidic liquids on the iron stick can be measured by observing the color and texture of the stick before and after exposure, as well as using a ruler or measuring tape to track any changes in length or thickness. A pH indicator can also be used to determine the acidity of the liquid.

4. How can the experiment be modified to explore different variables?

The experiment can be modified by using different types of acidic liquids, such as vinegar, lemon juice, or soda, to see if there are varying levels of corrosion. The length of time the iron stick is exposed to the liquid can also be varied to see the effects of prolonged exposure.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the effects of acidic liquids on metal objects, which can be useful in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and automobile maintenance. It can also be a helpful demonstration for students learning about chemical reactions and the properties of different substances.