Books for self-learning Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a book on self-teaching Calculus. Some suggestions include Spivak's "Calculus," which focuses on the fundamentals of numbers and functions, and Stewart's "Calculus," which is more geared towards applications in engineering and physics. Some participants also mention other potential books such as Courant, Thomas, and Salas. Overall, the recommendation is to choose a book based on individual needs and learning style.
Direlect
Hello all. I ran a search on the forums, but didn't find anything specific to my query.

Does anyone here have a favorite book for self-teaching Calculus? Preferably, the book should have a small refresher for older needed maths before the actual Calculus segment. Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Spivak's "Calculus" is great if you intend on learning more of the mathematician's calculus than the engineering/physics applications. It starts from going over the basic properties of numbers and functions first. In either case, a Schaum's review of Calculus will easily fill in the applications if you need them.

I wouldn't suggest Spivak.

I would go with Stewart's.

JasonRox said:
I wouldn't suggest Spivak.

I would go with Stewart's.

Not a disagreement with those, but would you give your reasons for not using the Spivak book but to use the Stewart book?

if you're going to read a math book you should learn how to do proofs first

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

go to thelibrary and try reading them. choose whichever one you like to read. e.g. spivak, courant, stewart, thomas, cruse and granberg, thomas finney, salas - hille, kitchen, silvanus p thompson, ...

It depends what you need this calculus for. Do you need a firm understand with strong fundamentals because you wish to do a degree in mathematics, do you want to use it this apply the basics to some problems, just enough understanding to apply to some engineering perhaps? Different books suit different needs.

I used Stewart's to self learn. It's a great book and full of color :)

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, including derivatives, integrals, and limits. It is used to analyze and model various phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the benefits of self-learning Calculus?

Self-learning Calculus allows individuals to learn at their own pace and in their own preferred style. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the subject matter and the ability to focus on specific areas of interest.

3. Do I need a strong math background to self-learn Calculus?

While a strong math background can be beneficial, it is not necessary to self-learn Calculus. As long as you have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry, you can successfully learn Calculus on your own.

4. Are there any recommended books for self-learning Calculus?

There are many books available for self-learning Calculus, but some popular options include "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, "The Humongous Book of Calculus Problems" by W. Michael Kelley, and "Calculus: A Complete Introduction" by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling.

5. How long does it take to self-learn Calculus?

The length of time it takes to self-learn Calculus can vary depending on individual learning styles and the amount of time dedicated to studying. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to gain a solid understanding of Calculus.