Troubleshooting Intermittent Screen Flicker on Samsung LN55C630K1F LCD TV

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a Samsung 55" LCD TV that is over the warranty. The screen is flashing and getting progressively worse. The individual is looking for a service manual or schematic to help diagnose the problem. Suggestions are given to check the automatic brightness control and the capacitors on the power supply or logic board. A forum is recommended for further assistance and a potential solution involving cutting a jumper wire on the power supply board is mentioned.
yungman
I have a Samsung 55" LCD TV that is over the warranty. The model is LN55C630K1F and version is SQ01.

The screen start flashing like the screen get darker and flash quite bright at like 4Hz intermittently. At first I can change channel or change screen display and it will stop. But is slowly getting worst.

I had gone online and look for the service manual with no luck. I need to find the schematic so I can get into it. Anyone has ideas where can I find the schematic or have any opinion on what's the problem. I don't exactly want to open it blindly and probe and I am too cheap to call for service yet because being in field service before, the hardest problem to find is intermittent, I still cannot control how to get it flash at will.

Thanks

Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most TVs have an automatic brightness control so the TV's brightness depends on the room brightness.
This might fail in a way that results in strange pulsing of the screen brightness if an electolytic capacitor was to go open circuit, for example.

If this seems a likely source of the problem, you might be able to disable this feature in a menu and see if that makes any difference.

Just guessing, of course.

Thanks, I'll look for the auto brightness.

MATLABdude said:
If it's slowly degrading, it could be the capacitors on the power supply / logic board. Samsung (or whoever supplies the power supply boards) seems to cheap out on capacitors (12th post):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515029

This forum might help you with the disassembly of your TV (or let you know how many others are having troubles with the same model):
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11439

Thanks, I did not see this post until now. I'll check into this.

yungman said:
I have a Samsung 55" LCD TV that is over the warranty. The model is LN55C630K1F and version is SQ01.

The screen start flashing like the screen get darker and flash quite bright at like 4Hz intermittently. At first I can change channel or change screen display and it will stop. But is slowly getting worst.

I had gone online and look for the service manual with no luck. I need to find the schematic so I can get into it. Anyone has ideas where can I find the schematic or have any opinion on what's the problem. I don't exactly want to open it blindly and probe and I am too cheap to call for service yet because being in field service before, the hardest problem to find is intermittent, I still cannot control how to get it flash at will.

Thanks

Alan

Is it something like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jH5Mb9zU0&feature=related

My compaq laptop has horrible intermittent screen flicker problems. It's supposed to be a loose connector.

Maybe it's just the back light or the back light power supply. Just a wild guess.

here's a link to a forum for people struggling with same troubles..

really not very technical , but maybe you'll find somebody who's had success with your model tv there.

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/700527.html

I was able to download a manual for Daughter's TV from Vizio but it didnt go into the boards or how they communicate, just wiring diagrams. Maybe Samsung will be more user friendly.

About halfway down this link is interesting post, two folks report fixingg theirs..
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_1...lickering-problem-so-dissapointed-in-samsung/

Samsung 55" LCD TV Model LN55C630K1F Screen Flicker Easy Fix

by TFurm - 1/29/12 2:03 PM

In Reply to: power supple by notsohappywithsamsung

Samsung 55" LCD TV Model LN55C630K1F screen flickering problem SOLVED ! The problem is not the power supply in all cases. There is a little jumper wire about 3/8 inches long that you can cut and the screen flickering goes away. It is labeled JP854 on the power supply board. Take off the back panel of the TV (Model LN55C630K1F ONLY! I don't know about other models). The power supply board is the brown one that has a big 55" on the upper left hand corner of the board. JP854 is directly down and to the right of that numer 55. It is a vertical wire. Using a pair of angled wire cutters, clip this wire at the top and bottom. Install the back panel, and reconnect the wires to the back of your TV. Enjoy...no nasty Samsung repair men to deal with. IF THAT does not work, your power supply was bad to begin with. Replace the power supply board (Part Number BN44-OO342B; about a 10-15 minute fix depending on your technical experience) and your TV is as good as new. Hope this helps everyone who has a problem, I know it worked for me. If you need pictures, feel free to e-mail a request

Last edited:
likephysics said:
Is it something like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jH5Mb9zU0&feature=related

My compaq laptop has horrible intermittent screen flicker problems. It's supposed to be a loose connector.

Maybe it's just the back light or the back light power supply. Just a wild guess.

It is not exactly like the video. Mine flash much faster but the picture does not darken all the way down, it just go brighter and dimmer. I am going to try unplug the tv and see what happen.

1. What are the common issues with LCD TVs?

The most common issues with LCD TVs include dead pixels, image burn-in, and backlight failure. Dead pixels are small spots on the screen that do not change color and can be caused by manufacturing defects. Image burn-in occurs when a static image is displayed on the screen for a prolonged period, causing a ghost image to remain even when the image changes. Backlight failure can result in a dim or completely black screen.

2. How can I fix a problem with a distorted or blurry picture on my LCD TV?

If your LCD TV has a distorted or blurry picture, first check the picture settings to make sure they are properly adjusted. If the issue persists, try cleaning the screen with a soft, lint-free cloth. If the problem continues, it may be a hardware issue and you should contact a professional for repair.

3. Why is my LCD TV not turning on?

There are a few potential reasons why an LCD TV may not be turning on. First, check to make sure the TV is plugged in and the power source is working. If it is, try unplugging the TV for a few minutes and then plugging it back in to reset it. If the problem persists, it may be a malfunctioning power supply or a faulty component, and you should seek professional help.

4. How can I prevent screen burn-in on my LCD TV?

To prevent image burn-in on your LCD TV, avoid displaying static images for prolonged periods of time. You can also use the TV's built-in screen saver function to periodically change the image on the screen. Additionally, adjusting the TV's brightness and contrast settings can help reduce the risk of burn-in.

5. What should I do if my LCD TV has no sound?

If your LCD TV has no sound, first make sure the volume is turned up and that the TV is not on mute. If the volume settings are correct, check the audio input source to make sure it is set to the correct device. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the TV's speakers or audio output, and you should seek professional help.