Magnetic field inside a Hollow asymmetrical cylinder

In summary, the magnetic field inside the hole is uniform, and the field is perpendicular to the current density.
mekansm

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius a has a hole drilled through it of radius b, the hole is parallel to the axis of the cylinder but is displaced from it
by a distance d in the x-direction where d < a - b. The asymmetric hollow cylinder has a uniform current density J = Jzez
Show that the magnetic field inside the hole is uniform and show that
B = (μ0/2)Jzdey

Homework Equations

Amperes law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am at a complete loss, I don't know how to use ampere's law for something that is asymmetrical. Any ideas on how I should approach it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Ampere's law twice. Get an expression for the magnetic field (in cartesian coordinates) for an intact cylinder and one for the displaced cylinder. Using superposition add both vector fields.

How is this going to result in B parallel or antiparallel to J? I am stumped.

I think information given is only part of the question, that the current densities are antiparallel aligned along the z-axis and of the same magnitude.

B will not be parallel to J, it is perpendicular. (Remember the right hand rule?) In your post, you note that J is along z and you are to show that B is uniform and along y.

Last edited:
I'm not saying B is parallel or antiparallel to J, but the original post doesn't give all the facts, rather a current density of [itex]\textbf{J}=J\textbf{e}_z[/itex] along the z-axis of a full cylinder plus the smaller clyinder displaced by d on the x-axis of [itex]\textbf{J}=-J\textbf{e}_z[/itex] in the opposite direction. Adding the field of the full cylinder and the offset one should give the expression for B.

bobred, my comment was directed to turin, who did say that B is aligned with J in post #3.

Appolpgies marcusl.

Sorry for the confusion, y'all. I was squinting when I first read the original post, and all I saw were z's. I tried to delete my post when I realized the ey in the expression for B, but apparently I'm not allowed to delete it.

(Oh ya, and thanks to marcusl for replying to my question.)

turin said:
Sorry for the confusion, y'all. I was squinting when I first read the original post, and all I saw were z's. I tried to delete my post when I realized the ey in the expression for B, but apparently I'm not allowed to delete it.

(Oh ya, and thanks to marcusl for replying to my question.)

I was wondering if you could help me with the magnetic field on the plane of the two axes. would it be the same as the hole?

mekansm said:

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius a has a hole drilled through it of radius b, the hole is parallel to the axis of the cylinder but is displaced from it
by a distance d in the x-direction where d < a - b. The asymmetric hollow cylinder has a uniform current density J = Jzez
Show that the magnetic field inside the hole is uniform and show that
B = (μ0/2)Jzdey

Homework Equations

Amperes law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am at a complete loss, I don't know how to use ampere's law for something that is asymmetrical. Any ideas on how I should approach it?

The only way I can think of doing this is via Biot-Savart. A bit complex but doable that way.

Maybe solving del x B = 0 could be done but I don't know how.

I don't see how Ampere could be of any use. Any loop you put in the cavity will have a zero circulation integral of B dot dl.

bobred said:
I'm not saying B is parallel or antiparallel to J, but the original post doesn't give all the facts, rather a current density of [itex]\textbf{J}=J\textbf{e}_z[/itex] along the z-axis of a full cylinder plus the smaller clyinder displaced by d on the x-axis of [itex]\textbf{J}=-J\textbf{e}_z[/itex] in the opposite direction. Adding the field of the full cylinder and the offset one should give the expression for B.

EDIT: my apologies also, bobred! I didn't get your idea at first. Now I think it's got great potential, so to speak :biggrin: .

Put the large cylinder along z with cross-sectional center at x=y=0. Assume it's solid. Then the field is known everywhere inside the solid cylinder using Ampere, including where the hollow part sits.

Then, remove the solid cylinder and replace it with a solid cylinder with the shape and location of the hole, same current density except the current goes along
-z instead of +z. Again, the field is readily established using Ampere.

Then superpose the two B fields.

Elegant - thanks bobred!

Last edited:

1. What is a magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder?

A magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder refers to the distribution of magnetic force and flux within a cylinder that is not perfectly symmetrical. This means that the magnetic field is not uniform and can vary in strength and direction at different points inside the cylinder.

2. How is the magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder calculated?

The magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder can be calculated using the principles of electromagnetism, specifically the Biot-Savart law or Ampere's law. These equations take into account the shape and dimensions of the cylinder, as well as the current flowing through it, to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field at any point inside the cylinder.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder?

The magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the shape and dimensions of the cylinder, the current flowing through it, and the presence of any nearby magnetic materials. Changes in any of these factors can alter the strength and direction of the magnetic field inside the cylinder.

4. How does the magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder differ from a symmetrical cylinder?

In a symmetrical cylinder, the magnetic field is uniform and consistent throughout the entire cylinder. However, in a hollow asymmetrical cylinder, the magnetic field can vary in strength and direction at different points inside the cylinder. This is due to the asymmetrical shape and dimensions of the cylinder, which can cause uneven distribution of magnetic force and flux.

5. What are some real-world applications of a magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder?

The magnetic field inside a hollow asymmetrical cylinder has several practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. These devices use the varying magnetic field inside the cylinder to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy or vice versa. The magnetic field is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to produce detailed images of the human body for medical diagnosis.