How Do Horizons Influence the Entropy and Temperature of Spacetime?

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the author argues that the entropy of a horizon should increase when energy flows across it, which raises some serious issues for which there is no satisfactory answer.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Browsing through the "New Springerlink", I came across

Gravity, the Inside Story

It's got some interesting, though non-classical, points about gravity. The author starts out with an argument about the inevitability of horizons.

But—conceptually—strange things happen as soon as: (i) we let the metric to be
dynamical and (ii) allow for arbitrary coordinate transformations or, equivalently,
observers on any timelike curve examining physics. Horizons are inevitable in such a
theory and they are always observer dependent.

This is sort of amusing considering the amount of angst we appear to be having currently at PF about the mere existence of event horizons. But that's not the main point of the paper.

This raises the famous
question first posed by Wheeler to Bekenstein: what happens if you mix cold and hot
tea and pour it down a horizon, erasing all traces of “crime” in increasing the entropy
of the world? The answer to such thought experiments demands that horizons should
have an entropy which should increase when energy flows across it.
With hindsight, this is obvious.

and

This historical sequence raises a some serious issues for which there is no satisfactory
answer in the conventional approach:
1. How can horizons have temperature without the spacetime having a microstructure?

The author argues that it's not possible for horizons to have a temperature without some sort of microstructure in spacetime, even if we don't yet have a theory that gives said microstructure.

The really interesting stuff happens when the author writes expressions for the entorpy S_matter and S_grav, the entropy of the matter fields and the horizons - and derives Einstein's equations as a low order approximation to the maxmization of entropy,

There's also some higher order terms which make the theory depart from the simple action of GR.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link, http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/834/art%253A10.1007%252Fs10714-008-0669-6.pdf?auth66=1353968763_5e7bf57514e8cb0ab0ad355560d4bbdd&ext=.pdf , is broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
bcrowell said:
The link, http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/834/art%253A10.1007%252Fs10714-008-0669-6.pdf?auth66=1353968763_5e7bf57514e8cb0ab0ad355560d4bbdd&ext=.pdf , is broken.

I relinked it through a Doi - hopefully it works now

The link works now. This paper has been around for a while and I'm glad you brought it to my attention again. It seems impossible to define energy conservation globally in GR, but does the requirement δ[Smatter + Sgrav] = extremum mean we have global entropy conservation ? If you'll allow some latitude in my expression.

Mentz114 said:
The link works now. This paper has been around for a while and I'm glad you brought it to my attention again. It seems impossible to define energy conservation globally in GR, but does the requirement δ[Smatter + Sgrav] = extremum mean we have global entropy conservation ? If you'll allow some latitude in my expression.

The date is 2008, but this is the first I've seen of it. Excuse me while I think out loud on the entorpy isssue.

Because entropy is a scalar density, we might have a possibility of avoiding the usual parallel transport issues. (My one reservation here is that entropy also has a representation as a 4-vector, by the number-flux density, and the vector representation should have the parallel transport issues - so perhaps I'm being overly optimistic and overlooking something in arguing that the scalar density form avoids the issue).

But let's suppose that treating entropy in it's scalar density form gets rid of the parallel transport issue for now. (The idea being that parallel transport rotates vectors, but numbers don't rotate , so we don't get the path dependency issues when we parallel tranpsort numbers and add them together). We still have the problem of the relativity of simultaneity. Conceptually, we can count the total number of states for any given definition of "now", but unless entropy is constant with time, as we choose different notions of "now" we'll get different numbers for the total number of states / total entropy of the universe "now".

So if one now has the hot tea and the cold tea unmixed, and the other now has them mixed and at the equilibrium temperature, the entropy should be different.

So it's not terribly clear why we demand that the change in entropy is zero, I have to agree. Except that it yields equations that look like they might be correct, or at least interesting.

A sub point here is that S_grav and S_mat are both integrals over d^4x, so setting the change to zero doesn't involve any transport issues, it all appears to be local. But I have to agree it's not clear why we set the change to zero,.

I understand what you're saying. I find entropy difficult in the GR context. If we want to count microstates say in a gas ( collection of partcles), can the states be expressed in terms of the worldlines (which are not observer dependent) of all the involved pieces and some kind of spatial slicing ? Unless the worldlines are dependent on internal states this looks impossible.

I need to think about this for a year or so.

What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force in the universe that causes all objects with mass to attract each other. The strength of gravity is determined by the mass and distance between objects. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, objects falling to the ground, and the formation of galaxies and other celestial bodies.

How was gravity discovered?

The concept of gravity has been observed and studied by humans for thousands of years. However, the modern understanding of gravity began with Sir Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation in the 17th century. This was later refined by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity in the early 20th century.

What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to gravity?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass does not change, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. For example, an object will weigh less on the moon due to the moon's weaker gravity compared to Earth.

How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity plays a significant role in the motion of objects. It causes objects to accelerate towards each other, meaning they move faster as they get closer. This is why objects fall towards the ground instead of floating in the air. Gravity also affects the trajectory of objects, such as the path of a thrown ball or the orbit of a satellite around Earth.

Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are researching and studying ways to potentially manipulate gravity, such as through the use of advanced technology and understanding the fundamental laws of physics. However, this is currently only theoretical and has not been proven to be possible.