Conductors in large electric fields

by gralla55
Tags: conductors, electric, fields
gralla55
Mar13-13, 07:22 AM
P: 57
You place a conductor in an electric field. The charges inside the conductor will relocate, to form an opposing electric field which cancels the outside field, making the field inside the conductor zero.

However, surely there's a limit to how big an opposing field the charges in the conductor can create. My question is, what will happen if you place a conductor in an electric field larger than the conductors maximum opposing inside field?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Drakkith
Mar13-13, 04:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,044
Offhand I'd say you would ionize the conductor and rip it apart.
ModusPwnd
Mar13-13, 04:25 PM
P: 849
Quote Quote by gralla55 View Post
My question is, what will happen if you place a conductor in an electric field larger than the conductors maximum opposing inside field?
I would guess it not longer behaves as a conductor. Being a conductor means you have free and mobile charges. If your external field has pinned down all your charges then you now have an insulator.

marcusl
Mar13-13, 08:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020

Conductors in large electric fields

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Offhand I'd say you would ionize the conductor and rip it apart.
Right, you get field emission, which is the emission of electrons from the conducting surface. Eventually you could get an arc (lightning bolt).

Quote Quote by ModusPwnd View Post
I would guess it not longer behaves as a conductor. Being a conductor means you have free and mobile charges. If your external field has pinned down all your charges then you now have an insulator.
No, the bulk metal is still a conductor.

Register to reply