IR thermometer pointed up into a cloudy sky?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of the sky in preventing humans from overheating as a heat engine. The sky acts as a net heat sink, allowing for evaporative cooling and preventing excessive heat buildup. However, the actual amount of heat radiated by a human is relatively small compared to the cooling effects of the sky and other factors such as evaporative cooling and conduction.
Spinnor
Gold Member
A physics stack question asks why when the air is hotter then your body thermodynamics allows your body to operate as a heat engine as a heat engine must have a sink for waste heat. See question here,

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/59316/human-as-a-heat-engine

Part of the answer is that normally the sky (except for the sun) is a net heat sink not a net heat source, if we point our hands to a clear sky our palms would sense cold? A clear sky is even colder then an overcast sky? Other fun with an infrared sensor?

Edit, point your hands towards the sky and away from the sun for a cooling effect?

With infrared thermometer in hand I measured plastic tarp in the shade, the overcast sky, inside my mouth. The outside temp was 47F in the shade by a standard thermometer.

plastic outside in shade, 48F
overcast sky (cloud ceiling at 7500ft), 19F
inside of my mouth, 97.7F.

So part of what keeps us from overheating is the fact that the sky is relatively cool?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I doubt that's a significant portion of it. A much, much larger factor is the fact that evaporative cooling effectively allows you to use warm air (even if it's warmer than your skin) as a heat sink, so long as the humidity is relatively low. Specifically, look up the concept of the wet bulb temperature - that defines the lowest attainable temperature using evaporative cooling in a given environment.

cjl said:
I doubt that's a significant portion of it. A much, much larger factor is the fact that evaporative cooling effectively allows you to use warm air (even if it's warmer than your skin) as a heat sink, so long as the humidity is relatively low. Specifically, look up the concept of the wet bulb temperature - that defines the lowest attainable temperature using evaporative cooling in a given environment.

I was doubting along with you so did some Goggling,

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#...42,d.dmg&fp=e67612c481f66f1f&biw=1093&bih=491

first listing,

http://books.google.com/books?id=n5...q=how much power does a human radiate&f=false

seems to say otherwise on page 192,

"A naked human will radiate as much energy as 13 100W light-bulbs"?

That is off a bit as they use 98F as the surface temp of a naked human. I'm topless and have a surface temp of 84F belly, 92.2F arm, 93.4 back.

Using 88F body temp in their calculations with room walls at 73F I get a net power radiated 1150W - 940W = 210W for a naked person in a 73F room?

So probably still small compared to the heat that can be removed by evaporative cooling and conduction?

1. How does an IR thermometer work?

An IR thermometer measures the temperature by detecting the infrared radiation emitted by an object. This radiation is converted into an electrical signal, which is then displayed as a temperature reading on the device.

2. Can an IR thermometer accurately measure the temperature of a cloudy sky?

No, an IR thermometer cannot accurately measure the temperature of a cloudy sky. The thermometer is designed to measure the temperature of objects, not the temperature of the air or sky. Clouds are made up of water droplets or ice crystals, which do not emit enough infrared radiation for the thermometer to detect.

3. Why does the temperature reading change when the IR thermometer is pointed at different areas of the sky?

The temperature reading changes because the thermometer is detecting the temperature of different objects in the sky. For example, if the thermometer is pointed at a cloud, it will read a different temperature than if it is pointed at the clear sky or the sun. This is because these objects have different levels of infrared radiation emissions.

4. Can an IR thermometer be used to measure the temperature of the sun?

No, an IR thermometer cannot accurately measure the temperature of the sun. The sun emits extremely high levels of infrared radiation, which can damage the thermometer. Additionally, the thermometer is not designed to measure temperatures above a certain range.

5. Is an IR thermometer affected by factors such as wind or humidity when pointed at the sky?

No, an IR thermometer is not affected by factors like wind or humidity when pointed at the sky. These factors may affect the temperature readings of objects on the ground, but they do not impact the thermometer's ability to measure infrared radiation from the sky. However, if the thermometer lens is obstructed by rain or snow, it may affect the accuracy of the reading.